Transmission getting tired..

limbmkr

89 cherokee Laredo 4.0..

Just curious, Towed the boat going out camping, it ran really good (plenty of power when it shifts back n forth) til after about 50 miles then it started to become weaker (less power when shifting) I know my transmission fliuid runs thru radiator to get cooled but is there two different ones that I m not aware of? Checked the transmission fluid when it s hot it shows full. It runs great when not pulling...

Hi,

I'm not sure what you are asking. If you're asking about the radiator, some vehicles use a seperate mini radiator for the transmission fluid and others use one big radiator that is divided internally into two sections (one for engine coolant, the other for transmission oil). I don't know too much about automatics, so I can't comment on the shifting issue :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Something to look at is the color of the transmission oil. If It´s bright red (like it comes out of the bottle) your usually OK. If it´s a lighter color red, It´s somewhat used up, if its light (fadded) red with a straw color (kind of golden) mixed in, it´s used up (usually at this stage it will smell slightly burnt). If it´s a dark straw color to light brown, change it yesterday (it will smell really burnt). And don´t forget to occasionally change the filter, it does get clogged up on occasion. When I see a transmission, with used up oil. I often change the oil, run it for a week. Then change the oil and filter. The torque converter has a bunch of oil in it, that isn´t changed with the regular transmission oil, in the pan.
When towing I usually avoid 4 th gear (or fifth in a stick), except when driving down an incline. And keep the RPM´s up some, to help avoid the torque converter from locking up.
I come from cold country, so my philosiphy of transmission coolers, is a little different from, common thinking. I install the auxillery cooler, before the radiator. At minus 10 deg. the transmission works better with the oil heated some by the radiator. Besides, the aux cooler before the radiator or after, the transmission oil, still comes out of the cooler pretty darn hot, in the summer. Like the motor, the transmission is designed to run above 180 deg. closer to 200 +.
I´ve occasionally had to adjust the TV cable (kick down cable) which does have an affect, on sharp shifts and shifts point also. I´ve replaced a couple of transmission´s, where the TV cable was well out of adjustment, and was immediatly noticable. It would want to kick down at half pedal or wouldn´t kick down at all.
I installed a switch to my aux fan relay, when towing I turn it on, before things get hot. Also switch it on, when sitting in traffic on hot days. Don´t really know if it helps with the transmission, but sure cant hurt much.
I have a drain plug on my transmission pan. I change the transmission oil every spring and/or fall depending on useage.

Sorry for not coming back.. I need to clarify it s an automatic transmission not shift stick.. I installed an Transmission cooler hope it help out and transmission fliud looks good no burn smell at all. I ran from output on Radiator to Transmission cooler then from transmission cooler to Transmission. My friend who is an mechanic recommended to run thru radiator then to Transmission cooler then back to Transmission. He said I should keep running thru Radiator to where it will keep it warm during winter.

Up here In ND it gets around 90 to 100 degree out.. So I either go early in the AM or wait out til Evening to pull the boat but Hopefully Transmission Cooler should help, Yeah not a bad idea to put on and off switch for the electric fan to keep air moving!!! The electric fan runs for 10 sec and stop for 10 sec and runs it goes on and on I dont know if it s normal?? I will look into Hot wire them sucker to where It runs the whole time while pulling.. Will take the boat out to my dad soon to put em in the garage before winter.. Hunting season is nearing!!

Just in time My v belt shredded just before I pulled into driveway.. Ended up replacing Water pump cuz it was driping and The spinning deal was loose Rocks back n forth.. After installing Water pump and new belt and Transmission cooler It seems to have much more power?? I dont know the differences maybe runs much better wih newer belt.. Hope I got the engine/transmission part solved! now Brake work need to be done soon! It doesnt do any stupid stuff but want to have it done before winter.

Happy Jeeping!!

I do the same thing, hook it up in series, with both the radiator transmission oil cooler and the auxillery transmission oil cooler. I just hook up the aux cooler first, then go through the radiator cooler. Probably doesn´t cool as good that way, but does help warm up the transmission fluid quicker, in the serious cold. I´ve checked my transmission fluid, on a serious cold day, just after start up, it seemed noticably thicker in seriously cold weather, can´t be good for transmission function (shifts and such).
I´ve been in the cold, when the motor oil hung off of the dipstick like honey and the auto transmission fluid seemed a lot thicker, than normal. Seemed like putting the aux. transmission oil cooler before, the radiator transmission oil cooler, would help, the transmission reach operating temp. a little faster and never really seemed to heat up the auto transmission any more, than the opposite configuration.
I always figured there had to be a logical reason the engineers, hooked up the cooler within the radiator in the first place. I figured the answer was normal operating temp.
Hooking up the aux. transmission oil cooler as a pre cooler, may not be optimum in getting rid of excess heat. But will probably keep your transmission closer to the designed operating temp. year round. A cooler with a themrostat and bypass, would probably be the best answer, that´s how the aux oil cooler on my motor works. It has a 180 F. thermostat built in.
Your 89 is probably the same as my 88. There is a thermo switch on the left side of the radiator (about an inch around with two wires coming out) (as you sit in the drivers seat). Follow the wires up to the cable harness, near the fan relay (inside engine compartment, just inside the left hood rim over the wheel well). If you strip back the wire a bit and solder on a couple of wires (without cutting the original) you can wire in a toggle switch, as a jumper for the thermo switch. The thermo switch will turn on the aux fan automatically when the motor gets much over 200-210 (it varies), and with the jumper switch you can turn it on before it gets that hot (usualy keeps it around 190 or so).

Got the 2500-5000 Transmission cooler package wasnt so hard to installed!!! yeah I think I have a 190 thermostat in.. Should be fine for the winter... Will just have to let it warm up longer before taking off. I had mine going thru Radiator Cooler then to Transmission cooler then back to Transmission. I do believe Transmission needs to be rebuilt someday it has 185,000 miles on only original Transmission. Maybe it might work out well after rebuilt.

Thanks Mudderchuck.

There is something also known as wash out with automatic transmissions. this happens on steep inclines when wheelin, it is when your trying to climb something and the torque converter isnt quiet filled with fluid and you get some air into it. This will show up as a loss of power as well. All the fluid is being used but the pick up tube sucks a bit of air into the torque converter.
To solve this problem getting a larger after market transmission pan with an extra 2 quarts is an easy bolt on and will solve this problem.

COOL will have to take a look at. It runs really good when I m not towing but towing It s back ward.. So I will have to remember what you said and if thats so then will replace to a larger Transmission pan.

I also do notice When towing, going up hill, It would shift up and when finally get on top of the hill it will shift back but It stop in between and goes back to normal. I watch my RPM goes up to about 300 then 250 then back to norm about alittle above 200 depending how fast you go.. It happens every time it shifts up and down. When shifting downing it sat there for about few sec before it finally gets down. so thats why I m thinking maybe Transmission needs to be rebuilt someday it ll last til winter cuz I m not towing at all this winter..

But thanks for your post..

New Jeep

When the transmission starts going, it´s usually noticed as a slight vibration under load. The clutchs get worn and the tolerances arn´t as tight and they chatter some.
Shifting issues are often bad oil, crude in the valve body.
TV cable adjustment.
Throttle position sensor (transmission) or do I`ve heard, never replaced one myself.
Low puimp pressure, due to a worn pump, or back to slipping clutches, which send a faulty RPM/pressure to the valve body.

I´ve nursed a chattering Torqueflight for years, if you treat it a little nice, no heavy towing, it can last a good long time yet.

When towing up hill (or down), I usually downshift at the shifter. I usually put it in "3" and leave it there, top gear puts extra stress on everything. Sounds like your torque converter is locking and unlocking. Normal at mid RPM´s.

Back