Trails this weekend

cewtwo

RE: New Jersey State Inspection

Did some fishing this weekend. The backcountry was packed. I often use the Jeep to get to where others can't easily get to. Anyone know of good fishing water in Colorado that the Jeep will really help getting to? Oh yeah, having some biting fish in the water would be nice, too.

We did some simple trails this weekend. All of them were in the area of Leadville, CO. First up was McAllister Gulch. The entry is at the Camp Hale site North of Leadville on US 24. From the end of McAllister, we took Wearyman Road over to Shrine Road. There are 5 water crossings on that short trail. We double backed from there and took Wearyman Road back up to Ptarmigan Pass and then the Ptarmigan Pass road back down to Camp Hale.

While on North Wearyman Road, we came across a tow truck pulling a Chevy SUV from Texas out. The SUV had broken the driver side back axle. The more the SUV was moved, the more we saw the driver side rear tire move out and away from the SUV. He was on a shelf road on a steep hillside. They had also broken the brake lines and left brake fluid all over the trail. They had gotten stuck the day before and finally found a tow truck that would come and get them out. We helped where we could (but mostly to facilitate getting around the scenario). Geez. Poor guy from Texas. That can put a spoiler on the vacation. Towing charges, finding a replacement axle, finding someone to do the work, Having the brakes and lines repaired, etc. It is probably the scenario that most of us dread the most.

It has been a year for these unfortunate outings. This season alone, we've seen 3 broken axles, seen a pickup on its side at the bottom of a trail offshoot, several flat tires (always take that spare!) and even a lot of carb vapor locks @ inopportune moments (halfway up a steep on Radical Hill). I do what I can when I encounter these things, but people have to help themselves. I had to replace my winch as I was using the (then) entry-level winch to get others out of situations that they shouldn't have gotten themselves in to.

From Camp Hale, we headed to Leadville, then went over Mosquito Pass. Rocky, but take it slow and you can see some beautiful sights. Leadville was having the Annual Boom Days celebration, and as a part of that, there were burro races from Leadville to Mosquito Pass then back to Leadville. Am I ever glad I have the Jeep after seeing those guys and their form of transportation.

RE: Death Wobble?

Sounds like a lot of fun. A group from our jeep club just returned from Colorado, they did a week with the All For Fun jeep run and a week on their own. The pics were just spectacular.

Generally when you break an axleshaft and the axle leaves the housing, the brake cylinder over extends and spits the pistons out, losing brake fluid. This is more comman that broken brake lines. Just FYI.

Back