Trailing and Dove Hunting

mingez

Went trailing and Dove Hunting this morning, with my buddy Omar and his father inlaw Rudy, we had a blast. It was slim pikins, but we still hauled in 10 birds. I had to do a lot of hiking to get my 4.

Also, I had a chance to use my Benelli "Nova" today. Wow, is that a shotgun!!! Very cool gun, I highly recommend it!!

Now as for the Jeep, it performed flawlessly, as we were able to trail to the actual sitting spot, where normally they have to hike in. Score another point for the TJ. The terrain is desert with mesquite, river washes, and MUD. For this desert, that's a rare occurance, but lately it's been raining soooo much, the Birds, plants and mud are in abundance.

Just thought I'd share, because it was one of those: "glad to be alive" days. It was just beautiful...but I'm sunburnt.

Hey, You forgot Pics ..... I think ?

Buy a Camera Already..... :lol:

Jeepin' and hunting. What a beautiful day indeed! Saturday after thanksgiving it's my turn :wink:

SO what do you do with a dove? Taste like chicken? lol

TwistedCopper said:
Jeepin' and hunting. What a beautiful day indeed! Saturday after thanksgiving it's my turn :wink:

SO what do you do with a dove? Taste like chicken? lol

It's not a lotta meat, so you have to kill a lot of them. Hee hee. It's best in a dish with some bulk... like stew, paella, or gumbo. There are lots of recipes out there and is really pretty good. If I kill it, I eat it...

They are reasonably fast, so there's a lot of sport to it. Mourning doves are in season down here, as well as white-winged doves, and prarie chickens. I don't kill anything that bears fur. Tastes like less gamey, less greasy duck.

Man dove hunting is great, I have been doing alot of that myself lately. In my opinion it is the best hunting out there. probably the least rewarding, but very fun.

transplant?

I assume you mean "least rewarding" in terms of meat yield...right? Yeah, it's a blast. Are you throwing seed? What species is in your area?

lol....yeah I was talking about the amount of meat. you cant get much from a dove, but if you shoot enough of them you make some pretty good stuff out of them. last I cooked them we just grilled them with butter. good stuff, better than most other game birds. not throwin any seed, just taking what mother nature sends my way. we tend to get alot of birds without throwing any seed, they love the corn field that we hunt beside.

Ha hahaaha.. Yeah, I guess I edited that one wrong. Yup, that's what happens when you are near the border. And dogs have feathers. Go figure.

No really, I don't kill anything with fur. The Surrey just doesn't facilitate the transportation of furbearing animals. And the Pink scares them away. :mrgreen:

No really, I don't kill anything with fur. The Surrey just doesn't facilitate the transportation of furbearing animals. And the Pink scares them away.
HAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :wink:

hydraulics anyone?

Try cooking Dove on a grill and baisting with Galliono. Guess that´s what the stuff is called. Sweet ligour, tall skinny bottle, yellow, used to make tequilla sunrises. Stuff with a wild and white rice mix, some spices, chopped oinion and a little butter.
The more responsible way to hunt dove, if they are abundant. Is to wait till after the first frost and shot the young unattached birds (without mates). If they don´t migrate by the first frost, they are straglers anyway. Don´t have to be perfect in your selection process, just something to keep in mind. My hunting area has more and more birds every year.
If crows and Jays arn´t protected in your area, thinning them out some in the spring, really improves the Dove crop. Crows and Jays, eat the eggs and baby doves. Hawks and Falcons are protected most everywhere.

Back