Trail Ride Today was Great!

Tug-n-pull

Well we forgot the camera so no good pics but heres is how it went today. Hope you enjoy even a bit as much as we did.

PASmokeater and I took a couple of non Jeepers to the woods today. Young couple just married and very nice that he works with now. We went to Rich Mountain aka Bumpass Cove and had a blast. We were only half way in on a forest service road going to where the trail started and the boy with us got out and said I have to have me a Jeep! His wife was riding with me she loved every thing about the ride but mostly the views. Clear day, Warm, leaves are off the trees and you can see forever.

Once we got to the trail head after a few miles of just rutted rough road I got out to lock the hubs. This is where the fun started. Mud holes and steep climbs and stuff. We made it to the first real tough technical part of the trail and started up. I told Lisa we would most likely not make it past the slick rock area. "Jason that is where we had to stop in you TJ last time you were here!"

Rob led us up and just there at the slick rock area was stock YJ all crossed up on the trail. Two Deer Hunters and they were trying to come off there after being stuck. We walked up and gave them our support and ask to pass but the driver was not a good enough driver to even do that. So we backed off and gave him room to retreat.

Robs TJ on them 33" Geolanders made it up no problem! Then Lisa my new buddie and I gave my 25 year old mostly stock CJ on 27" tires our first try. Folks it may not seem like much but Tugly had never made it past slick rock before.

I hit her in second gear 4 lo and as we made to the rock we set and spun as always. I backed off a bit and hit it a bit harder this time. No Go. Well I said Lisa we will hit one more time this time with a bit more MoJo. We did it and over the hump we were on the way.

Thinking this was the worst it would get we went on up. Came to a nice big Rutted area that I thought I could stay up on the bank withy the drivers side tires and stradle the rut. Up angle I would say 25 plus degrees and stradle a 4.5 foot deep rut. going good Rob and Brandon just ahead of us.

The drivers side tire lost traction and we slid off into the deep rut, now just on two wheels we are up on our side passenger side wheels way off the ground and Lisa is swinging from her lap belt oh heck handles and the windshield frame like a little monkey laughing her head off. Then of all things the drivers door opens all on its own! Then there we set or hang I should say. The jeep never missed a beat so the carb swap is working great even on compound angles.

Now the door is open driver side and bottom digs into the bank as we slid a bit backwards. I know if I keep rolling back the door is history and where would I ever find another Sears and Robuck catalog top to repalce it with. I manage to get into 1st gear and inch forward on the side walls enough to slam the door with minium damage.

Rob came out with no camera to snap the pics! :cry: Brandon has the look of a man about to see his new young wife die in a terrible jeep roll over. hehehe We roll off back down and try again still no go. We went as far as we could and I locked her down! We got out and we hooked a strap to the winch cable I let it out and then tied off to Robs jeep we winch as he pulls us up and over the hump.

I am so sorry to ramble but we had such a great day and just wanted to share it with you all. Now that The CJ is for the first time running good. I can get started on the other projects like a lift and tires and so on. Was just good to be back out on the trails in a jeep that could and would go. It has been a long battle to get this far and there is so much more to do. Thanks Tug

No pictures? heck you just painted a pretty good one in my head! Sounds like you might be warming up to that CJ of yours!

WHATS THE BEST SHOCKS FOR THE MONEY FOR A CJ7?

That sure is a pretty picture you painted tug... Tell Rob we said hi

jeepdude832 said:

235 70 r15's short narrow little mud tires fit for a datsun 2 wheel drive pick up and not much more. They stand about 27" or 28" inches tall. Tug

Sounds like you guys had a good ride. Can't wait 'til our new rides are built so we can get back on the trails. 8)

Back