Tow rig, trailer rig

TwistedCU

Just pondering a few things and need some input. If I decide to not tag my Yj and take it to trails on a trailer, I'm thinking my XJ would be stuggling to pull it. Am I wrong?

We're seriously considering getting a Suburban, and if we do I'll be getting one that can tow alot more than a Jeep. If we go with something else, I may have to use the Cherokee. If I had to buy a 4th vehicle and a trailer, I'd probably save money making the YJ legal.

I'd make it legal. That's with the laws the way they are down here. You go see your buddy at the gas station and he slaps a sticker in the window of your exhaustless, too tall, worn out tires sticking out six inches past the fenders, only one headlight works, rust bucket. I guess if you have to pass a really strict inspection, that's easier said than done. It really sucks not being able to just hop in and go when the bug bites though.

How much does the Jeep weigh? How about the trailer?
The 'burban would definitely yank those little square headlights around with ease!

your xj will pull fine with a tow dolly. A dolly will save the weight of a entire car trailor.

oh, you just made you xj less of a tow vehicle with the bigger tires ..
you could flat tow .?

Blech.

Yeah, that's what concerns me is the 31's on the stock 3.55 gears. Runs great, but I'm thinking that towing could kill my transmission. Making it legal would be easy enough, but in MD they like to give inspection tickets for tires past the fenders, bumper height, etc. When I'm in PA they have an annual inspection.

The more I think about it, the XJ probably would not be a good choice for hauling it any distance.

Guess I need a beater truck. The Suburban isn't a definate, but it makes the most sense for the family ride. It's that or a passenger van. We'ver seriously outgrown the cararvan ;)

In response to junkpile;
I wish it was that easy, in massachusetts when you have a title issued, and are registering you need to already have insurance coverage, which means they inspect the vehicle and if you can't get pass those A-holes then a inspection sticker isn't worth poop!

I am gonna register my project as a trailer, and flat tow it.

TC,

You might want to bone-up on the Pennsylvania vehicle inspection laws.

As I understand the situation, PA is getting to be (or already is) a real pain in the butt as regards the inspection of modified vehicles.

Those PA vehicle modification restrictions might need to be factored into your tow rig, trailer rig decision.

Perhaps, one of our PA Jeepz-sters could give you the details of the modified vehicle inspection problem.

Regards,

Gadget

jps4jeep said:
In response to junkpile;
I wish it was that easy, in massachusetts when you have a title issued, and are registering you need to already have insurance coverage, which means they inspect the vehicle and if you can't get pass those A-holes then a inspection sticker isn't worth poop!

I am gonna register my project as a trailer, and flat tow it.

An inspection BEFORE you can get insurance? That sucks. I just call my insurance agent with a vin# and tell them what kind of coverage I want. We have a yearly safety inspection and they are supposed to do a visual emissions check. How carefully the vehicle is inspected depends on what gas station/garage you go to for the inspection.

Back