tj = trail jeep???

johnny7point0

Is this true? I can't find one official Jeep source that explains what TJ and YJ stand for. I know CJ is Civilian Jeep, but the other two???

As I understand it, only CJ stands for anything the rest are just a letter designation code assigned by DC. I like Trail Jeep too though. Or in my case...Todd's Jeep :lol:

Hi Guys,

The Jeep two-letter model designations are decoded as follows:

CJ = Civilian Jeep

YJ = Yuppie Jeep

TJ = Toy Jeep

WJ = Wannabe Jeep

XJ = Used-to-be-a Jeep

BWAA-HA-HA-HAHA!

Just kidding!

Joke!

Honest!

Joke!!!

(Gadget last seen running for his life)

yeah all Jeeps have a alphabetic letter in front of a J (J is for Jeep duh :lol: ) I belevie CJ is the only true alphabetic (Civilian Jeep) After that it was all just a letter........

Yeah, i agree, i dont think TJ has any meaning. CJ was the term given to jeeps after World War 2 was over, and hence civilian jeep, but since then they haven't meant anything. Every car company gives alphabetical codes on their cars and some of them have no meaning.

Here's what it stands for in my book:

TJ = Texas Jeep

YJ = Yesterday's Jeep

Go you socks!

CJ = civilian jeep

XJ = extreme jeep

YJ = yuppy jeep

TJ = THE new jeep

KJ =Kill that jeep!

CJ = civilian jeep

XJ = extreme jeep

YJ = yuppy jeep

WJ = wow jeep

TJ = THE new jeep

KJ =Kill that jeep! (liberty)

Jeep comes from GP, or general purpose (slang from G.I's)
MJ was the military Jeep
Cj was later made as the civilian jeep.

YJ & CJ are just designations, as stated earlier in this thread.

I always wondered why JP magazine isn't GP magazine. Weird, 'eh?

Used to be a jeep, that's pretty funny Gadget! Toy Jeep? Must be Weebles (wobble).

-TC

Sully I think u where a bit off on the Liberty. KJ = Killer Jeep :lol: (After the TJ of course :wink: )

Johnny, think that "Trail Jeep" designation was a tongue-in-cheek interpretation, and he was just joking. Hence, the :eek:) <--clown face.

But there is controversy over where the term "Jeep" came from. Depending on who you talked to, Jeep came either from the GP (general purpose) designation, or the character from Popeye: the "JEEP". A creature that can go anywhere or appear at any time. I think it's probably a combo of both.

"Contrary to popular belief, the GP did not stand for "General Purpose.'' GP was a Ford engineering term, "G'' for a government contract vehicle and "P'' for 80-inch-wheelbase Reconnaissance Car. Of the three early Jeep models, the Ford has the most remaining specimens; about 200 are known to remain, including Steve Greenberg's restored '41."

"As Ford built the last of its own GP units, it landed a contract to built Jeeps to the Willys pattern. Ford designated these vehicles GPW (Government, 80-inch wheelbase, Willys). "

http://www.fourwheeler.com/thehistoryof/129_9709_jeepposter/index1.html

There's the Link to read up a little :)

TJ-THE BEST JEEP
YJ-Yesterdays (stuck in the past) JEEP
CJ-Civilian JEEP
KJ-Kiddie JEEP
XJ-X=travagant JEEP

How about...

L33TJ33P said:
"Contrary to popular belief, the GP did not stand for "General Purpose.'' GP was a Ford engineering term, "G'' for a government contract vehicle and "P'' for 80-inch-wheelbase Reconnaissance Car. Of the three early Jeep models, the Ford has the most remaining specimens; about 200 are known to remain, including Steve Greenberg's restored '41."

"As Ford built the last of its own GP units, it landed a contract to built Jeeps to the Willys pattern. Ford designated these vehicles GPW (Government, 80-inch wheelbase, Willys). "

Very cool. Ya learn something new every day. I read the Gen. Purpose thing in a Peterson's mag, but it did say "it is believed". Thanks for the correction.

It is much easier to use single Letter codes than to call it "G-80-inch wheelbase" ;)

Back