TJ Plastic bumper ends... Are they needed?

Jeep#3

I have already taken off the front plastic bumper guards on my TJ but I was wondering if there is a practical reason to leave the rear bumper ones on. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

edited by: Jeep#3, Mar 26, 2003 - 06:38 PM[addsig]

Not that I can tell.........mine will get the ax this weekend

FWIW,

Hoss[addsig]

just asthetics in the front, possibly a rock deflector on the back, but probably not worth keeping on.

just more weight that you don't need.[addsig]

So they are Ok to take off then... cool! The front bumper does look better without them! I hope the back does too! Then again, why wouldn't it... it's a Jeep![addsig]

in some localities they are required for street use. in certain areas the wheels must be covered and those plastic ends are the way jeep keeps the vehicle legal in all 50 states[addsig]

Are they required by law in Illinois? Anyone know??? :-? :-?

edited by: Jeep#3, Mar 27, 2003 - 10:10 AM[addsig]

#3, where you at in IL? I'm near St. Louis.

IL law requires the factory bumpers to be as wide as the track width, the distance from the outside of the tires from one side to the other. My front bumper is cut barely wider than the frame :-D

The rear plastic endcaps can be usefull when driving off a rock ledge, kinda cushions the blow to the tub behind the rear tires.[addsig]

Hey Bounty Hunter---

I'm stuck living in Chicago with no off-road trails! :-( I'll find some one of these days :-D ![addsig]

Back