Tires

cewtwo

Hood Misaligned.

Recently around here there was a poll about tire size. It was interesting to see that I have the most popular tire size. I run 33X12.5 tires.
I was running BFG TA/KOs. I have priced tires and got a great deal at Discount Tire. I also changed allegiances. This time around I went with GoodYear MTRs. The MTRs are popular here in Colorado.
My question to all of you would be in two parts. Two parts because we need to be pragmatic. What tire are you running now? and... What tire would you run if you could? And, of course, why?

My interest is primarilly what would you run on your rig? Factors contribute to this - Money and affordability, Looks, Ability to run in sand, mud, snow, ice, rocks, etc., Climate and topography in your area, etc...

Just wondering...

RE: Hood Misaligned.

I currently run stock AT's because I have to drive 700 miles back and forth to school. But if I still had my lifted XJ and could get a set of tires I think I would get the Rubicon tires(I cant remember if their the BFG or Goodyear MTR's) They don't seem to loose tread too fast and they seem to do great offroad. I used to run 31x10.5 X-terrains and I didn't really like the directionals but they were pretty good tires offroad.

Re: RE: New Jersey State Inspection

I run MTR/S since all I run is rock and I hardly ever see mud.

RE: Hood Misaligned.

On the TJ I'm running a 31x10.5 MTR design made by Summit, called the Mud Dawg. It's okay. I like them better than the BFG MT that were on there. Does just as good everywhere but on the street. It rides better, but the sidewalls are softer so mounted on the 7" factory wheels it squirms around turns a little.

I've got 36" old school bias TSLs on the CJ. You can't beat a TSL in an all around comparison, at least not once you get to the 33" and larger sizes. I prefer the bias, but the radials do just as good in most circumstances.

I've got 235/70 car tires on both of the station wagons :lol:

if i had a jeep i would have 33X13.50X15 micky tompson baja claw radials. couse i like lotsa meat. and here in oregon we have the famous oregon dunes. and radials couse it would be a DD. well as much as a DD as a truck driver can get (if i ever get my CDL(stupid cali))

Goodyear MTR's here. They're on my DD and I'm very happy with them in all conditions. I probably wouldn't have bought them if not for getting them cheap from a private seller because they are so expensive.

RE: Re: the end of my world...

I run the BFG ATs since I do a lot of road driving since it is currently my daily driver. Smooth ride and cuts through the rain soaked roads with ease.

I run Yokohama Geolander MT, and they are awsome! They are directional, but this is to my advantage, in thick mud, I have found that if I run reverse direction on the front tires, It make fording mud a lot easier.

jps4jeep said:
I run Yokohama Geolander MT, and they are awsome! They are directional, but this is to my advantage, in thick mud, I have found that if I run reverse direction on the front tires, It make fording mud a lot easier.

Alot of guys use to do that with Denman Ground Hawgs for running in the sand.

I'm running 33x12.5 Yokohama Geolander Mudterrains also. I love'em and wouldn't go with anything else unless it was a strictly off road vehicle. Then I think I would go with Swamper TSL SX's.

RE: Re: RE: Re: the end of my world...

i run 31x10.5 dunlop mud rovers. they've been on for 15k+ miles and they're still pretty good. they've held up well in all situations. however they do SUCK in the rain, marginally better in the snow. i'll air down to about 10 psi and they do very well on rocks considering. but all that said, they were the right price, i had a friend that worked at NTB and he hooked me up, got all 4 tires for $270, mounted and balanced (with a random spare) 5 tires on wheels for about 30 bucks. so i dont think i could have gone wrong there.

if the price is right, i'd run them again. i have no real negative feedback about them. i'd like some TrXus M/T's next time if i can swing it though. probably in the 32-33" range. i dont think i could switch to the goodyears in my current state because as much as i prefer rocks over mud, this area really doesnt have any strictly rock trails. dont get me wrong, there are plenty of good rock beds to mess around on, you just have to go through a lot of mud to get to them sometimes.

RE: Trails this weekend

Procomp X terrains.. love them. Eats the dirt up, and good in mud and has descent road manners. Perfect for most of the terrain around here. great on rocks too.

BFG Mudterrains, Love them too! Great all around.

Super Swamper TSL Radials on the road, TSL/SX offroad. The TSL/SX is about as close to an indestructable tire as you can get.

My next set may be the SS (Special Service) TSL Swamper in 34"x9.5" as it has 27/32" tread depth, second only to the bogger (and not by much).

I highly recommend the 32"x10.5" TSL Radial as a great all-around tire, especially here in the Midwest. To me it's the true all terrain.

Oh, and having a tire groover is awfully handy, I just can't leave a set of tires well enough alone.

RE: Pa Jeep Show Pics

In the southern trails there is no substitute for a bias ply Swamper whether it be a TSL, SX, Irok or Bogger. We have mostly wet rocks and mud for trails. These trails often require some tire shredding horsepower that BFG's and Goodyears don't like. I would probably be running one of those two if I were out on the west coast though.
My all around favorite is the TSL-SX but they don't make them big enough for me. I currently run a set of 39.5" cut boggers and have a set of 42" Iroks awaiting install (drool..slurp..drool).
My DD F250 is anxiously awaiting a new set of BFG AT/KO's. It's currently sporting some factory selected BFG rugged trail, rough terrain, long trail something or others.

cj7 liquid control valve

bchcky said:
i'd like some TrXus M/T's next time if i can swing it though. probably in the 32-33" range.

Yeah me too. They've impressed me from what I've seen on other rigs and they're priced right too. I can't afford another set of goodyear MT/R's (unless I find another steal on the web).

[edit]
I should mention they are for a daily driver. If I ever get my stuff together and find a Jeep for a trail rig I'll go with the 34x9.50 special service Swampers Bounty mentioned or the 34x10.50 Swamper LTB which has a smaller tread depth of 22/32 (both bias ply). They are both awesome tires for a lightweight YJ.

Back