Tires - Baja Claw or Wrangler MT/R

67bbc

I am looking at replacing my tires soon on my 91 YJ. I will be going with 31" and was looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial Tires or the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. I want a tire that will be good in any conditions (on/off road). The Baja Claws are about 15% cheaper, however, the difference in price does not matter as I need a tire that will be there for me when I need it. Your suggestions/recommendations??? :-D [addsig]

I am in the same situation as you, I'll be putting 33s on my 91 soon and I am trying to decide betwee the BajaClaw MTR or Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip. I have heard nothing but good things about the MTR, there are a few on this board that are running them now I guess. The BajaClaw I heard doesn't clean as well as advertised, but is suprisingly a quiet ride, and of course the side tread is just plaing MEAN. I think the MTR will wear better than the Claw, from the articles I have read about both tires. Do a search on google.com for reviews on the tires you are looking at... thats what I'm doing, but I still havn't decided, the MTRs are in the lead though! Good Luck.[addsig]

I hear the Yokahoma Geolanders are a really good high milage well balance on/off road tire a little pricey but you get what you pay for (some times) All so hear the BF Goodrich are the bomb. I personaly have always like the Cooper Tire Company products and hear good thing acout the Discover I think they are called. Mickey Thompsons are mad in my county and I have heard the employees get a real deal on seconds so I am in search of a good hearted person that works there ot score on a set of them. tires and lifts all are about what appeals to you and how much money you are willing to spend. It is enough to drive you crazy! If it comes down to a few dollars or settleing for the best price I would say save another week or two and get just the tires for your peace of mind. I can not believe old elcheapo tug just said that. hehehehe tug[addsig]

Tug, the Yokos I've seen wear terribly onroad, they don't last at all, at least the MT's I've seen. The MT/R's also wear poorly onroad, mainly due to the soft rubber compound that makes them perform so well in the rocks. The MT/R's are over-rated and over-priced.

What part of the country do you wheel in? What terrain type primarily?
What percentage are you onroad/offroad?[addsig]

I have the Yokohama Geolander Mudterrains on my jeep and they are excellent tires. They are quiet on the road (good if you don't like the noise all the time), excellent in the rain and on dry pavement but not the best on compact snow on the roads. I've been told by friends and other people that the BFG's aren't so good on wet pavement because of their harder rubber but will in turn last longer. As for them wearing fast, I've had mine for over three years now and will be replacing them at the end of the summer. They are a little softer than most other brands but a softer tire usually grips better. They've lasted longer on my jeep than they have my other friends with heavier vehicles. I think they're well worth the money for the added on street handling compared to other brands of tires.[addsig]

I have some BFG's, and I Craig is absolutely correct about them. They are terrible (very scary) on wet pavement , but will last you a LONG time. I've had some on my 95 Jeep since 97, and they still have a lot of thread left in them. They will probably last me another 2 years. But again, they are extremely terrible on wet weather.[addsig]

Back