Thumb throttle

Jeepster05

I've seen this on a few jeeps and don't understand exactly how your thumb gets all the way down the shift stick to the throttle while still having your hand on the hurst. Is there anyway to make it a button of some sort right on the side of the hurst where my thumb is usually? Tug I know you have done this already and I guess you're the guy that could clear this up for me. thanks

I am not sure how it got the name thumb throttle either. the fact is it is just a throttle mounted on the shifter via a bicycle gear shift thumb shifter and cable tied to the throttle under the hood. Almost any shifter will do but I prefer the old in the end of the handle bar sun tour with a ratchet gear in it so you can pull up on the shifter/throttle and have it stay. The down sied is it mounts inside of a handle bar. so I took an old set of bars and a tubing cutter and welded it with a spot from a mig to insert the shifter into.

Now I would set it high enough so you can get a finger or thumb to it for a ez pull for use. The good points to this mod is no more bounce of the foot on ruts and rough spots on the foot throttle. Just set the speed you like and set back with an off road cruise control. It also works on the hwy just foot down to running speed and then lift the hand throttle to the same tension and you are holding steady at the speed you set it at. You are on a steep hill be it it close traffic and not wanting to roll back int a car or in the hills trying to avoid the last inch till you fall off theend into a pit. one foot break one clutch and throttle at your finger tips for a ez pull out. no mo side stepping the break and gas at the same time.

Bang for the buck this is in my humble way of seeing thing the best mod for the money on a jeep or truck for that matter.

here is you a link for a quick how to any questions just ask. Tug

http://www.fte.co.uk/Project8.htm

I will have to show you all what my TJ has. On the Page Tug listed the cable goes to the Left Thottle tit. When I look at mine for this Mod there is a Cable already there and it seams to run to some little circular box. I can't figure out what it is or why it is there.

Hmph!!! I never even thought about that. LOL I enjoy that Cruise Control too.

Too bad it doesn't work at 3mph

L33TJ33P said:
Hmph!!! I never even thought about that. LOL I enjoy that Cruise Control too.

Too bad it doesn't work at 3mph

Mine does! Just put her in low 4dw and set the thumb throttle down at about 1250 rpms and set back and enjoy the ride. Coure I have a granny low t 18 so it goes pretty dang slow. hehehehehe tug

Maybe I will test my 4lo with the thumb cruize control on the steering wheel. MAYBE just MAYBE it will work.

LOL that isn't what I ment. I ment use the cruise control that is already installed, but try to use it while in 4 lo and at 3 mph or so. get it. no additions no replacements. just use the cruise.

Back