Thud

jay79cj7

RE: Re: RE: Jeepy!!!

Well, I have been driving around on this CJ for maybe 150-200 miles since I got it road worthy. I drove it to work yesterday. On the way home, in heavy traffic, it gets to be my turn at a 4 way stop. I hit the gas, I move a little, then it feels like I hit a big bump. I am barely moving, I hear metal scraping, and my rear driver side wheel rolls off across the intersection without me! I am a very lucky man to have the tire fall off when I was going like 2 MPH.

So there the CJ was, resting on the axle flange (drum fell off) in this intersection and tons of cars each way. A quick damage assessment showed that the studs and everything were still intact, the lug nuts were just gone! People were honking, giving me dirty looks, but it wasn't like I could drive away. I don't have my spare mounted yet, and thus no jack either. I went to the closest hose and the guy had a big floor jack. I got it jacked up, and put the drum and tire back on with a lug nut from each of the other wheels. Now people really seemed ticked at me once I got it jacked up. I guess it looked like I had chosen the middle of this intersection to change my tire. Oh well, I did it as fast as I could. I have sat in my share of traffic, I guess it was finally my turn to cause it!

I have no idea why the wheel came off that side. I checked all the other lug nuts and they were all tight. I put all the wheels on at the same time. I don't think anybody is out to get me...

I almost didn't post this out of embarassment, but what the heck, why not?

i had that happen...a few times...

once it was a 67 mustang...me and a pal was pullin it home from his cousins house who did some body work for me...turns out he removed the two rear wheels and didn say anything to me...and ddn't tighten them...about 5 miles later...both rear wheels passed me up...

the other time i think i just forgot to tighten them up on ym truck...92 f150...the tire rolled a pretty good ways...cool thing is some hot chics brought it back...

I had the wheel, hub, brake assembly and assorted parts and pieces come off the left front of an early '70s model Ford pickup while chasing cattle through a pasture about 17 years ago. Rolled the truck end-over-end several times. No seat belts in it. My buddy had just a few cuts and bruises, I had a few, too. Found out years later that I broke my neck in two places in the accident. I'd had a lot of pain since the wreck, but just ignored it (young and stupid). Finally went to a doc a few years ago and that's when he saw the old fractures...and a herniated disk. Got it repaired, 4 screws, a titanium "skid plate", and two vertebrae fused back together. Wish I'd only been going 2 mph!

RE: Re: RE: Wax stains on plastic parts

Jeez Sparky... That's exactly why I feel lucky! 5 min earlier I was going 50 mph, and if it had been a front tire instead of a rear, look out.

Let me guess, two piece D20 rear?

If not, WOW that definatly sucks, thats a sheared axle!

Re: RE: 12.5" tire on 8" rim? ** Yes or No?

You didn't piss anybody off......................wife, girl friend, somebody at work?

Re: RE: Re: Thanks for the cool Forum!

Did you scold the tire when you got home?
Sometimes you have to have a strong hand with the "bad seed" types, you know, let them know they are to obey you and STAY when you tell them to!
:lol:

Good to hear it wasn't a major threat though......

That happened to me in a tow truck...
The shop had just replaced the the rear brakes, The truck was given the ok to drive so I drove it.

I am on the freeway about to exit when...THUD both left rear tires decided to fall off...
luckily it was late and not many people were out.

while I was waiting for the flatbed to get me I tried to find everything I could.

what I was looking for: 2 rear wheels; 8 lug caps; 8 lug nuts; 1 center cap
what I found:::::::::::: 1 rear wheel; 1 lug cap; 1 lug nut; 1 center cap

come to find out the "tech" who replaced the brakes did not torque them down, he was drunk.
fired the next day.

One problem solved and here is the next one....

You didn't piss anybody off......................wife, girl friend, somebody at work?

I don't think so! I figure if it was my fiance, she'd wait til after the ceremony to knock me off so she can get my stuff. Hopefully nobody at work hates me that much...

After thinking about it, I used my air impact wrench to put them on. Maybe the pressure in the tank was running lower when I did that tire. After buying a pack of locking lugs and reading the warning on the back, I know now that you aren't supposed to use an impact wrench on the lugs. Live and learn.

Back