Throwin' The Bed Out [ HEY TUG ]

carriss

i wanting to take the bed off my J10 and well............. the bed mounts are rusted and never before removed now how can i get WD-40 in there well........ that's where you all come in so how can i get these mounts off? :-D

edited by: carriss, Jun 12, 2003 - 08:48 AM[addsig]

Cold Chesil off the bolt heads and be done with it. Then you can spray down the stubs and back em out. Tug[addsig]

It is a hard steel chisel. Any hardwear store can help you out there but after the day I have had cutting and wrenching and sawsalling use some thing a bit more technical. hehehehe tug[addsig]

If you can get ahold of the bolts they might just break off, if they are that rusty.. good luck.[addsig]

Cold Chisels have saved my stuff many times but another handy tool is a die grinder with a two or three inch cut off wheel. These come in air and electric. Not to be confused with a Dremel (Way too small/ light duty for most applications), although a Dremel might work on very small stuff in a pinch. The die grinder equipped with a carbide burr will be a lifesaver when hole enlarging needs to be done. (Carbide burrs cost a little more but will last much longer and do a better job.

Note: Always wear safety goggles especially when using a die grinder. :cool: [addsig]

How to change Front Hub & Bearing on Cherokee

If you can, plasma cutter!! That has saved my a$$ a bunch of times.

Johnny

When i was getin the frame/body bolts of my cj5 that had been rusted and never taken off for 40 years i just used some wb40 . . which didnt work very well, i've heard pb blaster was the stuff to use . . . and once i started yanken on them with a breaker bar they just broke off and lost some skin on the knuckles on occassion but it was worth it. The easy way to go is just use a torch if you got one and cut them right off . . . i used it for the 1 i couldnt get with the breaker bar and it was the easiest solution, but if you do that you have to buy a set of bolts . . . which isnt a bad idea anyways.

if that dont work and you can get a socket in there, tighten them till they snap off...

Torch em!
Seriously, spray them down with WD40 or PB whatever you prefer and hit them with a 1/2" impact wrench. Go forward and reverse and see if you can get them to loosen up. If that doesn't get them out maybe the heads will break off. Once the heads are all off and the body is out, then you can take a torch and heat up the bed around the bolt and remove them with a pair of vise grips.
Put some anti-seize on the new bolts when you put it back together.

Dude this post in all most a year old! You still aint got it fixed, heck I would not get into any kind of a hurry now. heehehehehehh tug

roller rocker problems

use a hammer and beat the pee olutta them till they break hehehehe but if there really that hard to get off i would weld a piece of pipe to it and turn the hell outta them they should break, if they dont then you got a very well built jeep hehehe

Back