Thoughts on buying this jeep?

H2oSki2Live

I'm looking at a '98 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L 6-cyl, manual. Has 95k miles, 3" body lift, and the other typical interior features for sound, AC, etc. New tires on it and mechanically sound. Purchase price is $7,600 which I am feeling is pretty good. Few dings in the body but from trail riding, not being involved in an accident. Oh yeah, also has the Dana 44 rear end.

Does this sound financially like a fair price to anyone?

Appreciate the input. Eager to get my jeep and this is the first one that I've REALLY felt had all I'm looking for.

HAve you checked KBB, NADA, and EDMUNDS to get a ballpark value?

Keep in mind the 3" body lift will lessen it's value slightly.

Okay, well it would if I was buying it.

i think $7600 is too steep for something that has been wheeled. plus, 3" of body lift is cheesy. where's the suspension lift?!?! my advice is to keep looking, steep price, wheeled, 3" body lift, dings, and 95k miles would steer me away.

And THIS is why I consult with you guys before I buy a jeep :) I take it that a body lift vs. suspension lift you are saying is just looks, but does not add any clearance for trails and such?

As for the TN jeeps Red... I'll drive pretty much wherever for the right jeep. So TN is definately not too far away. I was however looking for a '97 or newer if I could find it. Willing to spend between $6-8k or so depending upon the ride.

One other question, how much does it matter to each of you to have a Dana 44 on the rear end? Right now I don't anticipate driving off-road too much.

H2oSki2Live said:
One other question, how much does it matter to each of you to have a Dana 44 on the rear end? Right now I don't anticipate driving off-road too much.

For me, it depends on what the alternative rear end would be.
The Chrysler isn't too bad, but the Dana 35 is a little weak for some people and prone to breaking when you put them in a bind.

I got my 95 YJ 2.5 4 or 5 years ago with 41k on it pretty much stock other than the wheels for $6,200 from a little used car lot. Never had a problem with it and now has 113,000 miles on it. Only have really put about $1,500 to $2,000 in to it since then. Great off road and a daily driver. But my advice look around alot at little lots and big car lots if you know what you want to spend. If its not going to see that much off roading don't spend the money for something that somebody else did to it. Do it yourself and learn how to work on the Jeep so if it does break when your wheel'n you can fix it.

My 2 cents

Stay away from major dealerships also, they only jack the prices up. Look for the off the beaten path used car dealers. Some buy at auctions and do not have as much overhead. Just my thoughts.

H2oSki2Live said:
And THIS is why I consult with you guys before I buy a jeep :) I take it that a body lift vs. suspension lift you are saying is just looks, but does not add any clearance for trails and such?

As for the TN jeeps Red... I'll drive pretty much wherever for the right jeep. So TN is definately not too far away. I was however looking for a '97 or newer if I could find it. Willing to spend between $6-8k or so depending upon the ride.

i'll keep lookin up here for you then... there seem to be tons of decent jeeps in your price range around here... and yeah i'd advise to go to a smaller dealership... picked my jeep up for 4,300 at a small dealership in kentucky and there's some outrageously priced jeeps (10k and up) that ain't got nothin on mine on some of the larger lots...

I would look to buy from a privte owner vs a dealer of any size.

I would agree that buying a stock Jeep is best. Usually treated better and then you con mod it to be yours,

From someone from Greenville as well drive down 85 towards atlanta and you will see a K and K trcking its a great little $x4 pplace i got my jeep for 1200 and they give alot of good deals on older jeeps.

larryboyCJ said:
From someone from Greenville as well drive down 85 towards atlanta and you will see a K and K trcking its a great little $x4 pplace i got my jeep for 1200 and they give alot of good deals on older jeeps.
they have a website?

i dont think so you can try though they are either in a small town called easley or peidmont

Great advice from everyone. I've been staying away from the 4-cyl jeeps just because I've always liked having a bigger engine in whatever car/truck I am driving. That's something I've noticed that really limits my options. I'll have to check out the small used car lots though, not done that yet. I've stayed away from the big dealerships though.

Interesting point as well on not buying something already modified if I'm not going to off-road it much, so that I can learn by doing. I might have to consider that in some jeeps I look at now.

Thanks for all the input!

red93 said:
i'll keep lookin up here for you then... there seem to be tons of decent jeeps in your price range around here... and yeah i'd advise to go to a smaller dealership... picked my jeep up for 4,300 at a small dealership in kentucky and there's some outrageously priced jeeps (10k and up) that ain't got nothin on mine on some of the larger lots...

I live in TN also and went to KY. Bought my 90 YJ 2.5 with 140k in KY for $3,500 and I looked forever. Also bought my 2001 XJ for a steal in KY. They seem to have the best deals around. Worth the drive!!!

TwistedCopper said:
I would look to buy from a privte owner vs a dealer of any size.

I would agree that buying a stock Jeep is best. Usually treated better and then you con mod it to be yours,

:agree:

Always buy a stocker, do the mods yourself.

I disagree. Have any of you priced a lift for a TJ? Buy one with the lift already on it and save yourself some money.
Who cares if it has been off road. That is what is was made to do. It just matters if they maintained it after they took it off road. If the underside is covered with mud or the diffs are full of water then that would be an indication to pass on that particular Jeep.
Man, the last used vehicle I bought, I took a creeper with me and slid under it right there with the seller watching. It's not so much "let the buyer beware", it's "let the buyer be aware."

redrooster said:
I disagree. Have any of you priced a lift for a TJ? Buy one with the lift already on it and save yourself some money.
Who cares if it has been off road. That is what is was made to do. It just matters if they maintained it after they took it off road. If the underside is covered with mud or the diffs are full of water then that would be an indication to pass on that particular Jeep.
Man, the last used vehicle I bought, I took a creeper with me and slid under it right there with the seller watching. It's not so much "let the buyer beware", it's "let the buyer be aware."
I will agree that it can save money. It's just that unless you know who you are buying from, or know what problems or quirks that go with lifted Jeeps to look for, it could mean big hassles.

I also think it is good for a newbie to get to know the Jeep in it's stock form, wheel it, and then build according to their desire.

That said, I just bought one with a lift, and a couple other mods, but I am good friends with the guy who owned it and knew exactly what I had going into it. I am, of course, already planning on changing everything :)

Back