thinkin' about getting one of those "performance chips" on e

dingus

i thought it was kinda odd that a guy was selling "performance chips" on ebay for jeeps for something rediculous like a dollar or something. however, his feedback was pretty high. i read through the feedback and emailed a few people that bought the chips from him.

here's the email i sent:

----------------------------------------------------
hey, i noticed on ebay you picked up a "performance chip" from a guy, supposedly its a resister that you hook up on your car that makes the ECU think there is more air coming in...

i am a moderator on the discussion board over on www.jeepz.com and i have a few questions for ya:

could you go over the installation process? is it just a resister? could i just buy it at radio shack or something?

thanks,
-nate

and here's his response:

He sold me a 4700 ohm 1/8 watt resistor(could easily be purchased @ radio schack for about $.20!) This unfortunately will not work for most vehicles though. I am a liscensed journeyman electrician in Iowa and am currently persuing my masters. I own a 95 mustang GT and the PCM receives a signal from my intake air temp sensor in the constantly changing range of 0-30,000 ohms. So you can see why his 4700 resistor will not work. @4700 ohms my computer is being told that the air is approximately 150 degrees. The range is different for almost every vehicle produced and some cars(mustang before 94) don't even have this sensor! I have installed an adjustable device on my car so i can set it to whatever I want(currently @28,000 ohms) which tells my PCM the incoming air is 50 degrees. It is important to know for sure what degree = what resistance. You have to get this from your tech manual. My device replaces the stock sensor as did his. I have a larger throttle body and mass air flow sensor on my vehicle with a cold air induction and larger headers and exhaust. I would say my gains from these mods are around 50 HP and with my device I can achieve around 20 more HP which equals 70 HP! The resister theory can of course only see gains in the summer time when the air is hot coming into the motor, so you only need to use this in the hot months of summer. I don't think you would see any noticeable difference on a stock engine though..maybe 5-10 HP tops!
Aaron Olson

i just figured i'd share this so we can all be a little more informed...

-nate
[addsig]

Just throwing in my two cents worth. Automotive 101,most of what makes a slightly rich motor, produce more horsepower, is the cooling action of the extra fuel, which also slows down combustion a bit (works like a higher octane).
Power chips, has turned into kind of a generic term, which means most anything that changes the programing of the computer.
Most of the computers are set up to run fairly lean (at the edge of detonation) with a fairly high compression (in injected motors) and a slant towards reducing emissions. Which in effect often produces, pretty much max torque. But not necessarily peak horsepower.
Just an oppinion. The wifes XJ has a reprogrammed computer (car used to belong to a regional Jeep dealer). It´s an HO to begin with, but will really snap your head back in the mid range and has no top end, I´ve been able to find yet. I´ve run it at 135 MPH and still had some pedal left. But it gets about a 15-20 % less miles to the gallon, and what the heck do I need with more horses, it isn´t a road or drag racer.
The weak link in the 4.2 and the 4 ltr. has always been the main bearings. Though they rarley fail (burn up or spin), they do wear. And the extra horses, makes more thrust and maybe more RPM, that isn´t going to make the motor last any longer for sure.

edited by: MudderChuck, Mar 17, 2003 - 05:31 AM[addsig]

Back