the evil whisling doors...

Joopin

Super Moderator

I have a 91 that has full doors and a hard top on it. It came with the hard top on when I bought it last Nov. There is a couple problems with this... when I go over 50 miles an hoiur the drivers side door starts whisling really loud. It's so annoying! There are two remedies for this, either crack the little triangle window or turn up the radio to the max. Am I the only one with this probelm? Can it be solved? Here's another one for ya. There is a space almost a half inch wide between the hard top and the full door on the drivers side also, this may be a cause for the whisling who knows... but can the top or the door be adjusted to make the gap smaller? I know these probelms are minimal and I won't even care once summer hits and the top comes off all together, but I figured it would be nice to do something about it during the winter, that is if there is a solution. Thanks for any help... [addsig]

dude, I have never been a jeep that whistles at me when going over 50.. The triangle window does help but shit in my tj it still sounds windy as all hell. And my hardtop is much more efficient that the YJ hardtop. I am working on making a desposable sealstrip thats going to reduce the amt. of airflow from the top of the windshield channel to the hardtop. I want to make it so the paint is ruined by the stripping and its easy to peel off during spring and summer. but for now its Jammin to the radio at like a 100 db or crackin a window[addsig]

I too suffer from the "evil Whistling doors". It is definitly, on mine at least, caused by the gap at the top front of the door. You can fix this by wedging something in the gap as you shut the door, but the first time you catch your finger doing it will be the last. You could get some silicone caulk and fill in the gap or fabricate a gasket but then what happens when the top comes off? Just be glad you have the hard top; in my old soft top at speed you wouldn't have even been able to hear the whistling sound.[addsig]

AH HA! that evil noise tortured me for months. my remedy was to crack the roll down window (this was driver's side) or when questioned by passengers, look at them like they were crazy and ask what they were talking about. i traced the noise to the conor area and took some foam weather stripping and stuck it to the inside of the gasket on the door. this has reduced the whistle 90%, and im gonna apply more the whole length of the door to see if that gets the rest. seriously, this saved my sanity. good luck w/ urs

Reggie[addsig]

Possible causes for the gap.

1. Door and or hardtop are not a match. Factory or Aftermarket.

2. Door/ window frame is tweeked, broken or just bent.

(Someone hanging on it? or worse)

3. Door hinges are bent.

4. Door is out of alignment.

5. Door catch needs to be readjusted.(Closes the door further)

6. Body or frame is bent.

Note: After thinking a bit, laughing while painting a picture in my mind.

Sarge? Silicone? So, How will you get the door open?

We are not laughing at you, were laughing with you.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

yall are lucky that you can even here the radio I have a 91 that is so noisy that my dog howls when she rides in it, the top screams the exhause howls, and sweaks here and there, rattles all the time however my hard top doors whistled from the bottom corner and when i rolled down the window it helped it also it just releves the pressure inside of the cab hope this helps[addsig]

jcwhitney sells the factory weather stripping to replace your old, dry-rotted, and useless weather stripping thats on your doors now, joopin, if you're door seals are anything like mine were in my 91 replacing these nearly eliminated the noise all together, however a new whistle popped up in mine from a few other places, got the hardtop seal kit out of quadratec and now its just about as quiet as a jeep can be

quik[addsig]

The hardtop, if that is what is on, could be a little out of allignment, they do flex a little, thats if it is one side. Might be that stupid i dunno??[addsig]

Well here is the drivers side door gap... the other door is perfectly fine, no whisles. I don't know if the top is not seated right or what, but when I pull on the door the whisling stops so... i have no idea, anyway here is the pic... Mr. Gappy[addsig]

If you have checked for damage and wear and found nothing, and you can pull on the door and it closes the gap. Try moving the door striker inwards and see if this helps.

To readjust the striker. Loosten it with a rachet and torx (You might need some penetrant first) slid it in towords the seats and tighten. It might take a few adjustments to get right, but it's free and might be worth a try.[addsig]

mine does the same...i've learned to live with it...but in my cj it's caused by a small opening between the windshield frame and my door frame. i just shove a sock in there once in a while...it's rare i have passengers in that beast in the winter anyway...too cold they say...they'd rather wait to bum a ride off me when the top's off and they can do it in style![addsig]

ive got the same damn thing, same spot and everything! i took a piece of duct tape and folded it like a flap and just kinda patched the hole like that

Reggie[addsig]

Back