taurus electric fan???

I will be installing a Taurus electric fan on my '94yj and another on my '77cj, I was wondering if I should use it as a pusher(outside the radiator) or puller(behind the radiator)? Also, will a cj radiator work on the yj?

I will be installing a Taurus electric fan on my '94yj and another on my '77cj, I was wondering if I should use it as a pusher(outside the radiator) or puller(behind the radiator)? Also, will a cj radiator work on the yj?

Puller and no, unless you want to do some mods. i have a wiring digram if you need it.

Use it as a puller. Welcome to the Z.

Thankya very much my gun totin buddy, yes it will pull more than it will push, i have a wiring digram on my other computer if you need it i can send it tomorrow, im at the firestation today pulling a 48.

Attachments

• fan diagram.JPG
    fan diagram.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 9,668
Last edited:

Use it as a puller. And if you have it, you can adjust the shroud of the Taurus to the YJ radiator for even better cooling (if you use the fan without a shroud, it will not cool evenly so it will be less efficient). As for the radiator itself, no, you cannot use a CJ one on a YJ, but there are some cheap ones out there that should work fine. I got an all alluminum one for about $130 shipped, and it cools MUCH better than the stock one (even though it is only 1 row).

Thanks for the diagram. On the adjustable temp. switch, Is that one that you can get from Jegs or Summit? And I am putting a single speed fan on my CJ, do I just eliminate one of the relays and if so what amperage relay do I use?

Depends on the fan and the speed you choose. For high speed on the Taurus, think BIG (70A). For low speed, 40A should work fine...

The fan on my cj is just a generic single speed fan that was given to me, so I was wondering if I need to stay smart and go with a big relay or a small 40A? Also what amperage fuse would be the best for the application(20A-30A)?

Check out these fan controls: Delta Current Control

Anybody have any experience with these?

I got one, and it's worked beautifully so far (about 2 years now). The only times it has failed to keep the Jeep at a stable 200* (regardless of outside temp) were when I forgot to plug in the fan after changing the alternator, and when my radiator leaked fluid and was running with only half the required fluid. The first event caused overpressure, and thus the leak of the second event happened, and even with half the radiator fluid in, the fan still kept the Jeep from overheating (although temp would spike up to 220~230 when at a stand still).

Besides, the guy (Brian Baskin) has always answered all my questions (and trust me, they have been many!), so I would install one of these on my next Jeep no questions asked...

I would recommend a bigger alternator with the e-fan, though, regardless of how you control it. By the way, because of the "soft" start of the controller, you will be able to get by with the stock alternator for some time; I ran mine for about a year before I decided to change it with no major issues even with fog lights (50W) and a sound system (complete with AMP) running at the same time (I ended up changing it because I kept adding stuff to the Jeep - CB, GPS, more lights, more powerful headlights, more powerful sound system, etc. - so I figured better safe than sorry).

Felipe

Back