Tacoma Lover considering a change

BigDan

Hello,
My name is Dan Harvey and I live just outside of Townsend, TN. I love to fly fish in MY Great Smoky Mountains and ride my Harley throughout The Appalachian Mountains. I am married but have no children.
I have for many years owned Tacomas (business vehicle) and Camrys (personal use) and have been very happy with the service I get from them. My last two Tacomas were 400,000+ mile vehicles with very little maintenance required. The question I have is this. Can I expect to get that kind of reliable service from a Jeep? I have found a need for a short wheelbase 4x4 and the 2 door Jeep is perfect for my need. But if it is not going to give me reliable service that is comparable to the Tacoma, I am going to find another route.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to post an answer.

Jeeps are reported to last well over 300k with the proper maintenance. Tough to say you won't have as trouble-free service, that varies as much from vehicle to vehicle as it does make to make.

3032514546-1.gif
and enjoy the forum!

That also depends on how tough your going to be off road. And if your going to modify it. Adding a lift, bigger tires and other non-standard equipment do put a strain on the drive train and other rotating component's. I have seen stock Cherokees with 300K on the clock and still drive like they did off the factory line. On the other hand seen highly modified and wheeled 06 wrangler with cracked frame. Off Roading, and modifying any vehicle will shorten its "reliable" life due to off road environment.

I should have been more specific. I rarely do much modification to my vehicles. The Tacomas were lifted 3" just for clearance. My job has me driving on the Interstate for thousands of miles then 30 miles of deep mud on job sites, then back to East Tennessee on the Interstate. My trip could be as short as 300 miles to West Virginia or 3,000 miles to Washington State.

I like the Rubicon because of the factory lift but think the 4:10 ratio may not be best on the super slab.

That also depends on how tough your going to be off road. And if your going to modify it. Adding a lift, bigger tires and other non-standard equipment do put a strain on the drive train and other rotating component's. I have seen stock Cherokees with 300K on the clock and still drive like they did off the factory line. On the other hand seen highly modified and wheeled 06 wrangler with cracked frame. Off Roading, and modifying any vehicle will shorten its "reliable" life due to off road environment.

Back