Synthetic winch line

TwistedCU

I know it has been discussed a bit before on here, but what are your thoughts on the synthetic winch lines?

What size would be good for an 8000lb Ramsey Patriot?

Whould I have to change my fairlead? I have a roller fairlead.

Do they require you to get a winch cover to protect it from UV rays, bad weather, and road slime?

Just thinking about it. I use synthetic ropes at work all the time. They're fantastic. I'd like to see what some of those who run them or have had a good bit of experience with them think about them -vs- traditional steel lines.

i'm not speaking from personal experience, so i'm sure others will chime in, but i believe you need a hawse fairlead. it could get caught in a roller. and make sure its a new hawse, with no nicks and stuff on it, cause you don't want it to catch.

Yeah I think I would need an aluminum hawse fairlead... From what I have seen so far I am thinking the only concern would be it weathering.

Anyone here use one?

Maybe somebody, but too much mud around here for me to feel comfortable using one. To me, dirt is a syn rope's worst enemy, gets in the rope and breaks it down. Now maybe if I weren't always dragging my cable through the mud :shock:

They make some nylon rollers you can put in an existing roller fairlead. You could use a metal roller fairlead if it were new and had no burs. Otherwise it's aluminum or vinyl hawse fairleads.

I have plenty of friends that run them. 3/8 or 5/16 is fine, 5/16 rope is a lot stronger than 5/16 cable. I won't run it after some of the pulls I've put my cable through though. Bent around and over rocks... Hell no. It's great though, it's light and safe and strong.

Back