Swapping 2wd trans in 4wd?

carderzj

Hey guys. I somehow broke the housing on my transmission and need to replace it. It's a 94, 4.0, 4x4 with a 42RE transmission.

I've located a 97 ZJ with a a 42RE in it, but its a 2WD. What will have to be done to make it work?

Oh cool. Thanks! It looks like he did the opposite of what I want to do and he only had to keep the overdrive piston spacer to do it. Sweet.

a 94 will be an RH trans NOT an RE; they changed the governor from hyd. control ("RH") to electronic solenoid control ("RE") in 96; there was a 93-98 GC in a yard I went to today that had its T case and trans laying on their side next to the truck, with the valve body laying next to it; everything looked to be there, just in pieces. IDK what part they were after but that was a helluva amount of work to get it esp being there is a big trans parts warehouse about 15 miles from there.

that said I just totally rebuilt the 42 RH in my 94 Dakota this past weekend.

Weird. When I ran the VIN it said mine was a 43RE. ??

no, if the year is right taht you provided it is an "RH" IDK exactly what teh interchange on the trans case is between RH and RE; I think they will (different solenoids on valve body, but I know teh RH version had 2 slip fit metal tubes that go into the case from the OD tailhousing to feed the governor, which is in the tail housing. the RE doesnt have a mechanical governor and I dont remember if they have the holes for the tubes. If not that would be the difference between swappability or not, the front section of the trans is the same regarding 2WD or 4WD in each respective family (RH or RE)
if your solenoid plug has 3 pins its an RH; if it has 6 or 7 its an RE.

Back