Suspected Bad Neutral Safety Switch on 97 Cherokee

liquidXJ

I've got a 97 cherokee 4.0 sport with what I believe is a bad NSS. The guy I bought it from said he would occasionaly have to putt in neutral to get it to start. I know it runs and drives because when I bought it I was able to start it and drive it up on the trailer and same when I got it home. I'm curious to know which pins on the connector I can jump together to bypass the switch alltogether. Since this is only an off road vehicle I'm not worried about it starting in gear, I'll just keep my eye on the shifter hehe. Before I get into that though there appears to be another problem which may or may not be related to the NSS.... The entire jeep is losing power after I try and turn the key a couple times. Mind you I can hear the relays clicking every now and then. I'm suspecting a bad ground somewhere which I'll dive into that tomorrow but wanted to create a forum here to get some other ideas going as well in the event that isn't the problem. Thanks again!

I believe you could rebuild and adjust the NSS.

Clean all grounds both sides. There are two main grounding points. The body and the engine. Clean both to a polish shine. Have your battery load tested and the same for your alternator.

Back