Stuck bolts

XJNick

Hi, I started installing my lift kit on my cherokee today. I decided to start with the rear. I sucessfully got the shocks and u-bolts off, but the two end bolts on each leaf spring are stuck tight :-x! I can get my an impact wrench on the front bolts, and they wouldn't budge. In fact, on the third try, my socket extension piece ripped in half :-O, the bolt hasn't budged. I've used WD40 and PB Blaster all day on them, hasn't helped.

To make it worse, my impact wrench won't fit into the tight area between the fender and frame rail to get to the back two bolts, so I haven't figured out how I'm going to get those out??

Any ideas for getting these bolts out would be apreciated
-Nick [addsig]

Did you try heating them up a little???? :-O [addsig]

torch it, lube it, wrench it. rinse and repeat.

edited by: LGR, Jun 28, 2003 - 08:42 PM[addsig]

torches can be your friend, especially if you get winters like we do here in NY[addsig]

angle griner, or sawzall..... if you havent gotten it off already[addsig]

i find it easier most of the time to cut a bolt if it can be replaced, or if you can still remove it after cutting it[addsig]

just cut it, the bolt is most likely siezed inside the bushing sleeve. It will come out with a lot of persuation from a BFH but save yourself the hassle![addsig]

Thanks for the ideas,

I didn't have anything to readily available heat the bolt with. But after two whole days of PB Blaster, hammering, and a little swearing, the bolts finally came out. The threads had rusted, but I was finally able to break them free. I've got the back end done, now to do the front. My Jeep looks kind of funny with its butt in the air :-D.

-Nick [addsig]

The most effecient way to cut a hardened bold is with a fiber resin cut-off wheel. (Home depot, any industrial supply shop) You can power these with a standard 3/8 high speed drill but if you have access to an air powered angle grinder or bull nose grinder these will cut them off Mo faster..lol[addsig]

Glad you got them off, most XJ guys 'round here use heat to help, then loosen 1/4 turn, tighten 1/8 turn, repeat until off, helps to keep the nut from breaking loose inside the body.

The front will go easier, good thing you tackled the rear first.[addsig]

Back