stroke of brillaince = super cheap floormats

jeepmaster

today i became aware that i needed new floormats, and got some, for only 6 bucks. i got this idea from a friend. i just went to a local flooring or carpet center and bought 4 carpet samples. then i went to walmart and for 3 bucks bought some special fabric/cloth spray paint. and sprayed them black. the paint has no normal spray paint fumes, and when dry feels just the same as normal carpet. its like it was dyed that color. mine fit perfectly in my XJ in shape they came in (2 long rectangles for front, 2 little for back) but i suppose you could take some heavy duty scissors and cut them to fit better if you werent happy. i thought this was a brillaint idea, and for 6 bucks they look awesome. plus if they get to dirty or ratty, i wont have any problem throwing them away in a year and shellin out another 3 bucks for brand new ones. :) :) :) [addsig]

Good Idea. I just went and played in the snow. Pretty much thrashed my old ones, with mud. Guess I'd better head to the carpet shop. :evil: [addsig]

I don't think I would even bother painting them. Mine are and will always be mud colored.

pinaplebob[addsig]

My stepfather has been selling carpet for years... We always keep the samples... we haven't bought regular floor mats in like 10 years. they also make a good surface to sit or lay on while in emergency diagnosis and repair[addsig]

I recently went looking for carpet rests, and found the end of a roll of what looked like astro turf, but in a dark brown (didin´t know that stuff came in colors). I had some velcro strips in the junk drawer, a little contact cement, set me up so they wouldn´t slide around to much. Dog hair doesn´t seem to stick, they can be washed off at the spray and wash and they dry out fast. Only problem I can see, is they trap a little moisture underneath, and may, cause rusting on the floor boards.[addsig]

ha nice... i went to home depot and bought a roll of black rubber and cut my own... but i like your idea better.[addsig]

mudder-yea i made sure my floor was nice and dry with a hair dryer before i put them in, and water doesnt go through them cause they've got that plasticy rough stuff on the back of them (like linex) so they seem pretty safe for the floor. im keepin my eyes out for a nice roll of 2" shag for the back :cool: [addsig]

Back