Steering problem with a 1985 cj7

Jeepster05

I'm fixin to buy a 1985 cj7 and when i drive it is really hard to control. I think the large tires might be the problem. The guy i'm buying it from is really good w/ cars and has done a lot of work on the front end and couldn't really fix it. Could anyone give me some tips on fixing it?[addsig]

Does it have a suspension and or shackle lift? How big are the tires? I would start off by checking your steering components out for looseness or play (tie rods, ball joints, etc.).

If it does have a lift check to see if it needs a dropped pitman arm, in other words, are the two tie rods parallel to the ground, or is the one that connects to the pitman arm slanting upward because of a suspension or shackle lift... this was the main problem with my steering when I bought my CJ, and it corrected itself when I took off the 1.5" lift shackles it came with and put on some stock ones. I hope this helps...

Good Luck,

Jim

85 CJ[addsig]

The guy that owns it put on some scout shackles on the front and it has what looks like 2-3 inches of lift but he i don't know what kind, he added a few leaf springs which i plan to remove because of the stiffness. It's on 35x13.50 tires, I haven't really gotten a really good look at the specifics yet but i've ridden in it and it was all over the place. [addsig]

What it sounds like to me is that the lift-shackles/leaves are too tall for the steering setup. The pitman arm probably isn't the right length and you experiencing bumpsteer. If your lift is too tall for yoour caster you can have poor steering also. If it were up to me I would get the jeep over to an experienced jeep builder/mechanic and have him/her check it out. Good luck
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I agree with OHMS.

It sounds like the guy is a good backyard mechanic and created his own lift kit.

If you buy it, install a well engineered lift kit from one of the major kit companys.

Rancho, Superlift, TrailMaster, ect

Thier kits have been well thought out, enginnered precisely, and well tested.

Those tires are HUGE !!!! It wouldn't take much for one or more of them to get out of balance and that too would/could cause alot of unstableness in the steering.

Here's a qick test. Install some smaller tires and take it for a spin. Oh sure, it may looks funny. It must have a lotta lift to fit those 35's under it!!!

See if it handles much much better. Bet it do.

If so you may consider installing more more sane size tire/wheel.

30's 31's or 32's.

Some years ago one of the 4x4 rags did a story on max tire size and said the stock axles on a CJ should not exceed 32's.

Oh sure 35's 38's and 44's can be made to fit, but the axles aren't up to the max torque these sizes can put on these stock axles.

~[addsig]

Back