stearing

jjones5

ok i bought this jeep off an old man that said it was in good shape and it is but well when your doing 60 to 65 on the highway if you hit a bump the front end realy shacks my guess is the stearing stablizer any ideas

Had to replace my steering box.
TJ 00' with 41,000 miles. 33's on a 4" lift.

After I replaced it and the stabilizer shock it drives great.

Under 200 bucks for everything. Got the stabilizer (Rough Country) for 23.00 new from a "Make Offer" on e-bay.
Installed myself. No big deal but the box is heavy and its a beeyatch to start the first bolt holding it in place with one hand. But definately worth it.

Note:
When you replace the box re-connect your lines and jack up the front of your jeep. Fill the power steering reservoir. Turn your ign key to unlock your steering wheel. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE!) Grasp the tire and slowly turn it left and right working air out of the box. Your fluid level will noticeably drop so add more fluid until full on the stick. Once again move the tire slowly left and right. Do this many times and the air will be expelled out of the box. Check fluid level one more time. You will notice tiny bubbles on the stick. That is a good thing. Once filled, replace cap and start vehicle and turn the steering wheel left and right several times. You will hear the pump go quiet as the air is worked completely out of the system. Check and fill the fluid a final time. You are done.

Oh, pull your stabilizer shock and check it first. If thats the culprit consider yourself lucky.

Just a quick thing here for you. Before re-connecting your pitman arm to the box, make sure your tires are pointed straight ahed. It is inevitable that your steering wheel will be turned some kind of goofy way when you complete this job and take it for a drive. To solve this loosen the bolt on each side of the shackle (drag link) and adjust it by turning it one way or another to straighten your wheel back to the correct position. This shackle is attached to the rod that your pitman arm is connected to. Your pitman arm is connected to your steering box.

If your wheel is turned to the left while you are going straight down the road get under the vehicle and face the passenger side. Now rotate the shackle clockwise a quarter turn, tighten it and try it out again. A little turning goes a long way. Be sure to tighten the shackle when you are satisfied with the steering wheel adjustments you have made.

Last edited:
Worn bushings can be another culprit. That will require a lot of time to track down but will definitely cause these jeeps to misbehave.

Search 'death wobble' on this forum and on google. It's been covered once or twice.

Back