startin' problems with the cherokee

Benskate1

well i got on a slight break for lettin my 86 jeep XJ be drivin and when i get back much problems occur. i turn the key, no noise. i keep turning it and it might start starting but nothing. i know its not the starter cause im not a retard/ what could it be. sometime it works when i mess witht the clutch a little bit. could it be some sensor or something? much thanks for any help givin!
Ben

well, it starts turning over then abruptly stops. and i turn the key and nothing might happen, then out of nowhere it starts to turn enough to start. it only has to turn a couple of times to start. its buggin out basically.

I don't believe there's any "sensor" that is activated when the key is turned to make the starter not function....sounds like it might be a wiring, or solinoid problem.....you say it's not the starter...what have you checked to determine this ?....fried starters can be finicky :)

Rob 8) :p :)

4Banger owners unite :D

searching to see if you have a sensor on the cluth, and how (if possible) to deactivate it. I'll keep you updated.

Rob 8) :p :)

Okay, steps to diagnose:

Notes:Starter relay is not the starter solenoid. The wire colors listed below may not be accurate for your model year.

1) check for power at starter relay coil (the green wire) when key is in START.

2) check for power coming out of the relay (the DARK green wire) when key is in START.

3) check for power coming out of starter solenoid when key is in START.

If step 1 shows false, check igniton switch output.
If step 2 shows false, bad starter relay or no power to starter relay
If step 3 shows false, bad starter solenoid or wiring

Also, the switch on the clutch pedal will only effect the cruise control (if you have it) :wink:

Good Luck!
-Nick :!:

Thanks for the info. I am having a similar problem - but absolutely no noise to start. It is an automatic and is acting as if I am trying to start it in Drive. After getting it towed from the third level in a low parking garage (tricky), the autoshop hit the starter with a hammer and it is humming along. They want to replace the starter - I would like to verify the problem first. 8)

RedJeep said:
Thanks for the info. I am having a similar problem - but absolutely no noise to start. It is an automatic and is acting as if I am trying to start it in Drive. After getting it towed from the third level in a low parking garage (tricky), the autoshop hit the starter with a hammer and it is humming along. They want to replace the starter - I would like to verify the problem first. 8)
sounds like a bad starter to me.... thats a normal thing to have happen and hitting it wiht a hammer will get it to turn

starter yes... the starter is a large high torque electrical motor and when a few of the brushes start to wear you get dead spots (no arc/no turn)
A new starter is in order... at the same time take a few minutes and clean the battery posts and connections. This time of year is hard on all under the hood electrical. Checking the battery fluid level and other stuff is the best maintence you can do during the summer.

Just had a new battery installed at the end of March - and had the connectors cleaned last week - fluid levels are fine - will need a new negative cable end soon (cracking).
Can the starter stop working abruptly? Whenever I have had a starter go bad before, I always had some type of warning. This time - none.

RedJeep said:
Can the starter stop working abruptly?

It's possible. The hitting might indicate the starter was stuck or there could have been a bad electrical connection that made contact when the motor was hit. Although it sounds like the motor is bad

-Nick :!:

Back