Sporatic vibration

doowa

RE: yj is overheating again!!!

I have had a wierd problem with my 96 Grand Cherokee. For the last month I have had a few episodes where when I reach about 50 mph, my steering wheel shakes and the front end feels like it's bouncing. This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 200 miles or so. I have replaced the shocks after the second episode.
Anyone have any ideas what it could be that this is only happening every once in awhile?

Most commonly a bad front track bar. Inspect both ends while somebody turns the steering wheel to full lock, then bounces the steering wheel back and forth off of full lock. Check for play in either end.

2nd guess would be torn bushings in the conrol arms.

Do you have any lift mods?

no, no lift mods... thought it might be the catalytic convertor, as I was told this spring that I needed a new one. Just hadn't done it yet. I was told, if it gets clogged up, it can cause my symptoms.
However, I had that taken care of, and the Jeep did it again tonight!

who told you that the catalytic converter would make the front end bounce around!?!?!?!? thats insane! i could see bad gas mileage, a check engine light, a rattling sound....

but never a front end wobble!

LOL

RE: Anybody else get one of these in the mail?

Sounds like classic death wobble. If what BH doesn't seem to curey our ills, have you had a simple alignment done? Any reason to believe it's out of wack. With no lift, it's unusual.

RE: thx

Well, I know I need an alignment, along with new front tires, they are worn on the outsides. but would that cause the intermittant bouncing?
It has only happened above 50 mph, but not all the time. It can go 2 weeks, or every couple days. It feels like I'm on a dirt road with a wash board effect. Otherwise it drives fine.

Good online automotive electrical parts store?

Ok I'm ready to pull my hair out!! Took the Jeep in to have the front end checked out. The guy says, no problems, except that I need an alignment and new front tires. So then I go to check out tires and the guy there says, Steering damper and stabilizer links too. For a grand total of $600!!!!!!!!!!!! I just had brakes done this spring $477, and new exhaust, $285. I can't do this anymore!

Anyone wanna buy a Jeep??

doowa said:
I have had a wierd problem with my 96 Grand Cherokee. For the last month I have had a few episodes where when I reach about 50 mph, my steering wheel shakes and the front end feels like it's bouncing. This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 200 miles or so. I have replaced the shocks after the second episode.
Anyone have any ideas what it could be that this is only happening every once in awhile?

okay, this is definately not your cat. being that the wheel shakes specifically at 50, make sure your wheels are balanced. you are NOT experiencing death wobble. From what i have read, you would be AFRAID to drive your jeep if you were experiencing it. does the problem go away when you get above say 55 or 60?

go to a shop, get your 2 front tires (and get them balanced), an alignment and then see where you are.

i got the same problem but it's between about 60-70. As soon as I got over 70 it stops. And while it is doing it, if im in the gas it gets worse, but if I let off the gas it quits....

RE: The Cliffs???

siminsez01 said:
doowa said:

okay, this is definately not your cat. being that the wheel shakes specifically at 50, make sure your wheels are balanced. you are NOT experiencing death wobble. From what i have read, you would be AFRAID to drive your jeep if you were experiencing it. does the problem go away when you get above say 55 or 60?

go to a shop, get your 2 front tires (and get them balanced), an alignment and then see where you are.

I've lived with death wobble for about 7 months, and yes when it first happens you almost want to never drive again, but it's manageable with speed and some nifty braking.

It COULD be tire balancing too. But I wouldn't completely rule out death wobble due to some misalignment. But the steering wheel shacking and the washboard dirt road rumble is what wobble ends up at if you are going at high speeds. At lower speeds you can more feel the actual "Wobble" effect.

Hey, you need an alignment anyway, and didn't you just get new tires? That should eliminate any chance of tire balance issues...assuming the installer isn't an id-yit.

RE: Jeep Trailor???

just a thought, make sure your lug nuts are tight! a wheel flyin' off is certainly no fun... it hasn't ever happened to me but i know someone who has... NOT PRETTY!

Same problem here! I have a 96 Grand Cherokee with 122k miles and I experince a wobble between 50 and 55 mph. I had the alignment checked and the wheels balanced last week. The tires have 30k on them and the had been shaking at different speed before the balancing and now it is happening at 50-55. The other day I experienced the so called death wobble going about 50 and got on the brakes gently and got it to stop around 25mph. So today a buddy and me swapped the tires and wheels from his 96 Cherokee with mine. A few trips around town and there seemed to be vey less wobble (shimmy) in till I was doing 70 on the highway and and there was the death wobble all of a sudden. I managed to slow it down and get it off to the side. I have a stock suspension and 30k on my Bridgestone Revos, the tires are woren more on the outter threads and I just notices the vey inside threadg line seems to have a bit of waving. I have keep up on the rotating and all of the ries seem to have the same wear pattern. I changed the steering stablizer a couple weeks ago and it didn't seem to change anything. If I can't get this figured out and fixed for a reasonable cost, it's getting traded in for a newer grand cherokee, which will probably wobble at some point but oh well!! Any suggestions on this would be awesome. I live in Richmond, VA so if someone knows someone local that may be able to help that would be great!

Get a set of tires and an alignment. I'd be surpised if the problem were still present afterward. Don't bother with anything else until this is done, as it needs them anyway and are, in my eyes, the likely culprit.

If by chance it still does it, the things that have been suggested to you by mechanics (cat, stabilizer, links) are not related. An upgraded steering stabilizer might help hide a shimmy or death wobble, but will not fix it. As for the cat converter, that is comical.

let us know how you make out with it.

I also wanted to add that my buddy has been driving around in his 96 Cherokee all day with my tires on it and has not had a single vibration? Is it possible that there is something wrong with my Jeep that would ruin my tires but not really cause the wobble. I had the Jeep alligned when I bought the tires and the had it checked to other day and everything was still in spec. I'm just kind of leary about dropping $500 or so on tires when I may just end up ruining them.

Last edited:
someone should write up a how-to of death wobble solutions and make it a sticky. i posted this same thread a while back as have many others. death wobble sucks :evil:

good luck

edit: things i checked first -

mud inside the rim
torn bushings
alignment
tie rod bent?
worn tires (which was my problem)

a new set and alignment, not a single hint of it since. ive had death wobble more than once. three times actually. the first time was before any mods what so ever but after wheeling. i had bent a tie rod. another time was from globs of mud in my wheels and all over the suspension and lastly it was because my tires were worn really uneven.

Last edited:
It is the start of death shake go with changing lower contol arm bushing , the rear part first (the end on the frame) it will get worse and you won't want too drive it.

Back