Speaking of Snow ...

catpus

Speaking of snow, do you guys do anything different with you Jeeps in winter. I.E. put on different tires, put some weight in the back or something to that effect.

I just got my hands on a 98 stock Sahara. I love it.

It's my second Jeep. Roughtly 18 years ago I had a CJ. The tail on that machine seemed like it had a mind of its own when it was on ice. On the bright side it used to periodically give me a 360 degree view of the road without having to use my mirrors or shoulder check. RIP

I admit, most of my problems were of my own making. I'd like to think I'm a smarter driver now but I'm still a little leary. For the last 5 years I've been driving a Sunfire. It's pretty idiot proof with the front wheel drive anti-lock break configuration.

So whats your advice? Besides never downshift on ice.

i just make sure the tires are not bald... and i'm all set... traction is never a problem for me... heat is always the problem

Dana 44 front off a Wagoneer

Hello catpus,

I live where the average annual snowfall is approximately 113-inches, yet I don't find it necessary to do much beyond normal maintenance to keep my vehicles, to include the CJ, snow-worthy. Winter-Wiper blades are my main concession to the onset of winter.

I do store a "winter survival kit" in each of our cars. Those kits contain the usual items required for survival if stranded in a broken-down vehicle for hours in sub-zero, windy and snowy weather.

If nothing else, making up those survival kits puts to use some of the Tupperware which my beloved long-time main squeeze is incurably addicted to buying. (She is the one riding shotgun in my avatar.)

:lol:

Regards,

Gadget

I take my m/t's off before the first snow fall and put my bfg a/ts on for added traction on the icy roads. It still fishtails if your not careful but it sure is fun to drive in the snow. Every street becomes almost like an endless mud run minus the bumps and jolts of running ruts

Every street becomes almost like an endless mud run minus the bumps and jolts of running ruts

And it washes off so much easyer to. hehehe tug

Inspector-Gadget said:
I do store a "winter survival kit" in each of our cars. Those kits contain the usual items required for survival if stranded in a broken-down vehicle for hours in sub-zero, windy and snowy weather.

Now I must ask Inspector what does your "winter survival kit" has ?

Personaly I store my ski pants along with the rest of the ski gear.
a can of sterno fuel to melt snow for water and a handful of granolie bars (yuk).
Two winter blankets,a few 24 hour candles for heat.
As to the rest my snow-shoes and walking poles with my transever should get me out of the worst here in Utah, but I would love to hear what others carry.

Back