Soft top question

grooveman

This isnt really technical but does anyone know if theres some kind of protectant that I can use on the bestop soft top on my jeep? The company says not to use a petroleum based product like armor all but maybe thats just so it will wear out faster so they can sell you a new one. [addsig]

That will break down the nylon in the top and cause it to wear faster. Best thing to do is keep it clean. I use Reliable Spray Cleaner on mine and a soft brush. You can by it online at Reliable Products it's under the RV section on there sight. works great.[addsig]

Also,

I read where the clear plastic in the windows have a finite life expectancy.

That life expectancy will be shortened depending how much UV the plastic is exposed to

(i/e sunlight)

So, if you can :

1 - park in the shade anytime you can

2 - I've noticed a BIG improvement in life expectancy of the rear window if you

DO NOT roll it up !! leave it flat, use bungee cords and string them to your roll bar storing the rear window against the inside of the top.

3 - NEVER rub the clear plastic windows when dry. You'll scratch them. To clean, spray with water and use a wet soapy sponge or rag to wipe clean. Then spray soap off and let air dry.

4 - Get the top off and store indoors during warm weather. Keep the top off as much of the time as you can.

~hope this helps

[addsig]

Here's one:

I have the stock top on my 99 Sahara, how do I get the back window unzipped? I tried to run both zippers to the left (CCW). I only succeeded in getting the left side zipper stuck in the down position. After working on it for over a half-hour I got the zipper freed and moving up and down again. I haven't tried since removing the rear window. It obviously comes out...I was thinking of visiting my dealer and asking for help. They will want to charge me though?[addsig]

I was told to extend the life of the top to use a spay sun block on the top to protect it from the UV light. Have not tried it, but it sorta makes sense...not sure how often you would have to do it, but I would think after each washing???[addsig]

Back