SOA Pitman Arm Question

RedWrang

What year models on the Cherokee will fit. And if i understand right they already have the dropped one on them factory. Please let me know im going shoppimg this weekend for one. Thanks[addsig]

Are you referring to the dropped pitman arm you need when going SOA on a YJ? If so, this might save you some time and money: DONT GET A DROPPED PITMAN ARM. Save your green and get yourself an adjustable front traction bar from JKS. In the instructions, they tell you to junk the dropped pitman arm and replace it with the stock one when installing the adjustable traction bar on a YJ with an SOA setup. I've been running this setup for about a year now and the handling is actually better. I think most if that is because all the slop from the cheesey traction bar extension bracket is now out of the equation. :) [addsig]

Just a note on pitman arms that is funny. I buy alot of stuff at auctions and not to long ago I bought a bunch of auto tools in a big box. I had a large selection that I was not real sure about what one was, it has a long handle and a short tapered fork. I just threw it into my extra box and today at autozone, waiting for a price on some parts I see it on a tool advertisement mat on the counter. A pitman arm remover. tug is learning :-? [addsig]

Yeah tug that is what they call a "pickle fork" puller. It's for removing the drag link from the pitman arm. You can also use it to separate bushings like the ones on the sway bar...note that using this tool often annihilates the bushing so it will have to be replaced when the components are put back together.[addsig]

The traction bar affects the drop on your pitman arm because the angle of the drag link should be the same angle as your traction bar. If you have a riser bracket to utilize your stock traction bar (because it became too short after lifting the jeep), you will have an angle which is less steep than the angle of your drag link. That's why you need a dropped pitman arm. BUT if you simply get a longer traction bar, the angles of these two components will remain the same (they'll both be steeper angles than stock; but they'll be the same, which is more important). Again, I've tried it both ways and have found the longer traction bar method to be the best solution without breaking the bank. It also produced better handling on the highway, which is always a problem with spring overs.[addsig]

what length traction bar are we talkin here? An SOA is in my near future and I like the way your thinkin on this... got any pics?[addsig]

Back