Snow Wheelin'!!!

Finally got recuperated enough from the long weekend of work to go wheelin' today in the snow. Man, it felt good! Sorry, I didn't take any pics with the digital camera. I've gone back to my roots and started shooting film again. I just missed the control I had with film and a good SLR. Got a good deal on an Olympus OM2n a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to eBay I added $500 worth of lenses for less than $150!!

Anyway, back to the wheelin'. I went out to Cheney Lake, my usual stomping grounds. The water level has been way low all summer due to the drought we've been in. There's a good 150 feet from the normal shoreline to the water's edge now, all nice smooth sand. I can put in at my favorite spot and drive 15 miles either direction along the shoreline. With 7 inches of virgin snow and drifts up to 15 inches, I had a blast!! I took Sonya the Wonder Dog with me, and she loved it, too. When I'm about to hit something rough or get crazy with it, I tell her to hang on, and she spreads her legs out a little and kinda crouches down in the back of the Jeep. Once we got done spinning around or whatever, she comes up and licks me in the side of my face, tail wagging! It was all pretty much completely flat and smooth, so I could get up to about 45 mph and crank the wheel into a long, arching slide, snow billowing up and over the top of the Jeep.

Sonya had fun running around in the snow, too. I'd make snowballs and throw them to her. She'd try to catch them in her mouth, and look all suprised when they just fell apart!:lol: Then I'd throw one and tell her to fetch it. Of course, it would disappear into the snow, but she'd root around with her nose in the snow and finally come up with it!

Just thought I'd share.......8)

doggies+snow= a hole lot of entertainment. cant wait till i can afford new tires so i can do some wheeling with my pups too. glad you had fun, and i wanna see the vids.

Sounds like fun.

That new suspension soften up yet? I remember mine was pretty bouncy for a little while before it got broken in.

Finally got recuperated enough from the long weekend of work to go wheelin' today in the snow. Man, it felt good! Sorry, I didn't take any pics with the digital camera. I've gone back to my roots and started shooting film again. I just missed the control I had with film and a good SLR. Got a good deal on an Olympus OM2n a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to eBay I added $500 worth of lenses for less than $150!!

Anyway, back to the wheelin'. I went out to Cheney Lake, my usual stomping grounds. The water level has been way low all summer due to the drought we've been in. There's a good 150 feet from the normal shoreline to the water's edge now, all nice smooth sand. I can put in at my favorite spot and drive 15 miles either direction along the shoreline. With 7 inches of virgin snow and drifts up to 15 inches, I had a blast!! I took Sonya the Wonder Dog with me, and she loved it, too. When I'm about to hit something rough or get crazy with it, I tell her to hang on, and she spreads her legs out a little and kinda crouches down in the back of the Jeep. Once we got done spinning around or whatever, she comes up and licks me in the side of my face, tail wagging! It was all pretty much completely flat and smooth, so I could get up to about 45 mph and crank the wheel into a long, arching slide, snow billowing up and over the top of the Jeep.

Sonya had fun running around in the snow, too. I'd make snowballs and throw them to her. She'd try to catch them in her mouth, and look all suprised when they just fell apart!:lol: Then I'd throw one and tell her to fetch it. Of course, it would disappear into the snow, but she'd root around with her nose in the snow and finally come up with it!

Just thought I'd share.......8)

Digital SLR is the way to go. I destroyed mine a while back at Table Mountain while leaning over a rock to take a pic of some diving birds. Good shot, but I paid 750 for the pic because my camera is now unadjustable. SUCK!!! I can't change the aperture setting or anything.

Now, I can't stand film, especially since I don't have access to a dark room.

As for your trip, sure sounded like you had some fun. That's what the jeeps for!

Digital SLR is the way to go. I destroyed mine a while back at Table Mountain while leaning over a rock to take a pic of some diving birds. Good shot, but I paid 750 for the pic because my camera is now unadjustable. SUCK!!! I can't change the aperture setting or anything.

Now, I can't stand film, especially since I don't have access to a dark room.

As for your trip, sure sounded like you had some fun. That's what the jeeps for!

Yeah, I'll eventually go digital SLR, but until I can afford that, it's film for me. I know I'll be able to get a DSLR cheap soon enough, though. I've got a friend that runs a camera store, and he says a lot of people are trading in their DSLR for 35mm cameras again. Film just makes such better enlargements.

A good DSLR will cost upwards of $1500, and lenses go for as much as $5,000!! That's more than I paid for the Jeep!!:shock:

Yeah, I'll eventually go digital SLR, but until I can afford that, it's film for me. I know I'll be able to get a DSLR cheap soon enough, though. I've got a friend that runs a camera store, and he says a lot of people are trading in their DSLR for 35mm cameras again. Film just makes such better enlargements.

A good DSLR will cost upwards of $1500, and lenses go for as much as $5,000!! That's more than I paid for the Jeep!!:shock:

Well, it depends on the memory of your camera. You can take a 64,000 x 48,000 pixel picture on some. Of course, that's over a gig of memory. Don't worry, soon all digital cameras will be synced via satellite wireless to your home computer which will be the size of a wristwatch with a floating virtual screen. It's all a matter of time.

I use my medium format film camera for enlargements.

Back