Snow is taking its toll

jackobotz

We had a little over 50 inches of snow in the last week, 28.5 last weekend and 22 on Tuesday, and I sure has beat up my jeep. 4 wheel drive not working, exhaust, and something else rattling. I don't have a garage, and too much snow on the ground to deal with it. More snow today.
I guess it will be parked until the thaw.
Unless someone can point me to a good Jeep mechanic in the Philadelphia area.

Last edited:

You four wheel drive problem could be a quick fix... Check out the vacuum lines on the front axle. Going through deep snow (or snowbanks) might have pulled off a line.

With that much snow we really have proof of global warming now :lol: Best of luck - John

no such thing as global warming..... read an almanac... its been doing this kind of thing for hundreds of years.... but i wish i knew a good place for u to go jackobotz.

There is a 99% chance that your 4WD is not working because your front axle disconnect is not working. Let me explain what this means. On a YJ, you have the transfer case that actually does all the work of transferring power to the front axle when you're in 4WD. However, Jeep also added a vacuum-powered disconnect on the passenger side of the front axle that has a shift fork and an axle collar ring. It is supposed to activate when you shift the t-case into 4WD, and the vacuum motor pushes the shift fork, which slides the axle collar into the 'engaged' position, and presto, now your front axle is engaged and you have 4WD. The 4WD light on the dash (if you have it) is also operated by this system; if it's not coming on when you shift into 4WD, it means your vacuum disconnect is not working.

There are a few ways you can fix this. All of them are painfully easy, and a mechanic will not be necessary unless you have severe tool phobia or something.

Option A: Buy and install the PosiLok cable. This is the best way but also the most expensive.

4X4 Posi-Lok Jeep Driveline Parts - Quadratec

Option B: Replace the axle disconnect vacuum motor, shift fork, and associated vacuum lines. This is cheaper now but could be prone to failure again in the future, unlike the PosiLok.

Original Replacement Parts 83503113 - Vacuum Motor for 87-90 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
Original Replacement Parts 83503695K - Replacement Shift Fork Kit for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, 84-91 Cherokee XJ & 86-91 Comanche MJ - Quadratec

You can get the vacuum lines at your local auto parts store for next to nothing.

Option C: Unbolt the disconnect housing, turn it 180 degrees, and bolt it back on reversed. This flips the shift fork's disengaged position so that it is always engaged. This is the cheapest fix because it doesn't cost you anything if you have a socket set. The only drawback is that the front driveshaft will now turn all the time, even when in 2WD. This will add a little vibration at speed because the front driveshaft is not balanced from the factory. Still, this is what I did and the added vibration has been barely noticeable. I took a 150 mile trip on the interstate doing 65 - 70mph most of the trip and I never noticed it. I haven't noticed a loss in fuel economy either.

Last edited:

There was a guy at Oxford & Devereaux about three years ago. Not sure how great a mechanic he is, but he does know jeeps pretty well. He saved my day when he turned up an old rear driveshaft from his used parts bin. Mine had been pretzeled & this was on a weekend. Sorry I cant remember the name of the place, but it was a used car lot also.

.... This will add a little vibration at speed because the front driveshaft is not balanced from the factory. Still, this is what I did and the added vibration has been barely noticeable. I took a 150 mile trip on the interstate doing 65 - 70mph most of the trip and I never noticed it. I haven't noticed a loss in fuel economy either.

... agreed. I have heard a Jeep engineer (from the factory) say there is no harm in leaving it engaged.

Well I found out what all the noise and no 4wd from, no fluid in transfer case. Case has a small crack in it. I just got my income tax, so i bought a used transfer case , a rebuild kit, heavy chain and sprocket, SLE ,a posilock and I am ordering a 4 inch lift kit.
I haven't figured out what brand to buy, there are so many out there. Anyones that I should stay away from?

I know the feeling.I lost my exhaust the other day.I am basically running a straight pipe now.Mine disconnected from the front of the cat.No garage,need to drop skid plate to get to the connection..With another 30" of fresh snow it should be fun.

I know the feeling.I lost my exhaust the other day.I am basically running a straight pipe now.Mine disconnected from the front of the cat.No garage,need to drop skid plate to get to the connection..With another 30" of fresh snow it should be fun.

Dropping the skid is pie. Just place a jack with a block of wood under the trans near the bellhousing to support the weight. Then drop the skid.

Back