smoking brakes

jeeeppy

Hi,
In need of some help, i have a 99 tj 4.0l. I changed front pads couple days ago put pagid pads in, have not really been any where, girlfriend been to shops 6 miles away.Anyway went for a drive friday arvo not driving or barking hard prob went about 20 miles if that got out brakes stank like burnt clutch so left too cool down when got back in no brakes pedal high, felt very strange, pushed it feels hard like trying to compress air. Mates garage changed fluid said it was black said calipers seem ok .Got jeep back drove home about 10 miles brakes stank again.
Any Help or ideas appreciated.
Thanks Nick

new pads tend to do that after just recently putting them on. Its just how it is. Should work itself out after about a day or two of solid driving and braking. I typically take my Jeep out and run it about forty mph and then put on the brakes pretty hard. This puts on nice coating of the pad material on your rotors but it wills stink for the first couple of days. This is just basically breaking in your new pads

In regards to the compressed air feeling you may wanna check and make sure you dont have any air pockets in your break fluid lines. If so you will have to drain your break fluid and compress all the air out. Air in the break lines is spells disaster for your breaks. Hope this helps

I second the air in the lines comment. I would also check for stuck calipers, and make sure the new pads are not making unintended contact when you are off the brakes (you can raise the front of the vehicle and spinn the wheels to check for this).

It is also good practice to bed your pads. You can do this by finding a deserted road, accellarating to about 50mph, and braking as hard as you can without locking up until you reach about 5~10mph. Then accellarate quickly again, and repeat. Do this about 5~8 times. You will literally smell the brakes when you are done. Then drive down the highway to let the brakes cool off, and park without using the e-brake until next morning. But this has nothing to do with your problem, as all bedding the brakes does is give you the best braking performance.

I think its stuck calipers too. New pads may smell but they dont smoke. I would jack up the front and try to turn the tires if they dont turn freely you have a bad caliper.

When I put new pads on mine the front right caliper stuck the next day and started smoking just got a new one all has been good

Did you replace the caliper too? at a minimum I like to run a 3m pad over a composite rotor before putting on new pads. it removes any glazing and smooths the friction surface slightly., also, since people in the past generally fail at propperly bedding pads to rotors, pads now come with a break in compound on the surface of the pad. it does small and might smoke depending on how hot the brakes get, what from what you are explaining, you might have other issues. since you pedal is spongy, I am guessing that a piston in a caliper might not be seated properly in the bore, and or a seal is bad. small amounts of fluid might be forced out and this is the smoke and smell your experiencing.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies people.
Took calipers of seemed ok, I too thought they might be seized but seem ok. Changed & bleed through brake fluid drove few miles without heavy breaking smell like i just done a track day ?? Happy days all comes at once only going to be using jeep as daily because merc had to go in have head removed as three glow plugs out of six are jammed. cars cars cars :rolleyes:

Might be silly question but had bumper with winch put on at about same time would this affect front end in any way ??

Cheers Nick

Back