shackles

snowdog

can someone tell me the difference between greasable shackles and regular shackles and the pros and cons of each?

Exactly as it sounds. One set, you can put grease in and the other you can not.

The greasable ones...you just have to remember to grease them every once in a while, but they usually last a little longer.

You can also make non-greasable shackles greaseable with a little fab work (you make up some greasable bolts).

Greasable shackles allow you to run poly bushings with no squeeks, while providing good shackle and spring movement. Non-greasable will tend to bind up more under articulation.

RE: Oooops!!!!!

pst has polygraphite bushings...they say needs no lubing...i;'ve never had any so i dunno if they squeek at all..does anyone else?

Or you could just run regular poly bushings on your regular shackles like I did and have constant squeeking all the time on road :lol: .

What are polygraphite bushings? Are they just polyurethane, but don't need to be greased?

RE: 4 Banger question...Junkpile, Where you at?

50 bucks for bushings :?: :shock:

Dems some expensive sonumabiscuits!!!

Re: RE: wrangler rims on a xj?

Does a lift shackle really hurt the ride that bad? Are greaseable better tiding or not? Sorry If I'm highjacking this post.
Mike

Does a lift shackle really hurt the ride that bad?

Not a moderate shackle lift. I wouldn't recommend more than a 1/2" shackle lift for factory springs and up to 1" lift with 4" lift springs. The problem with running longer shackles is that it only moves one end of the spring, which screws with the front end geometry. If you go too far, steering and handling problems will arise. These can be fixed to a limit with shims though. They also reduce approach angles if running the factory shackle-forward setup, and they can allow springs to flatten out too easily.

Are greaseable better tiding or not?

Maybe a little. They are all greaseable, those are just easily greaseable. I run regular shackle bolts with poly bushings. I always just grease them when I install them, and then whenever I happen to remove the bolts for something..... :oops: I guess I'm not on top of my shackle bushing needs like I should be.

Back