Senior Jeep Tech Needed!!!!!

maxwell30434

i have a 1990 jeep wrangler yj with a 2.5 4 cyl. i have read several threads on other forums about a custom intake where you remove your old air box & cut a 3in hole in your firewall. you would place the filter in the air vent that is right under the windshield. they suggest a scoop to help direct the air flow. they also say that it keeps your motor cooler by getting direct air from outside vs. hot air from within the engine bay. what do yall think??? my main concern is the rain factor!!

i have a 1990 jeep wrangler yj with a 2.5 4 cyl. i have read several threads on other forums about a custom intake where you remove your old air box & cut a 3in hole in your firewall. you would place the filter in the air vent that is right under the windshield. they suggest a scoop to help direct the air flow. they also say that it keeps your motor cooler by getting direct air from outside vs. hot air from within the engine bay. what do yall think??? my main concern is the rain factor!!

The rain is going to be something you would have to address. You could get one of those scoops that sticks on and covers up the vent and only costs $20 or so, but I would still personally be concerned about water getting into the engine. Water aside, my honest opinion is that this isn't really a bad idea per se, but that the advantages of doing this vs. a standard aftermarket intake isn't going to be worth the trouble. You probably would pick up a couple extra horsepower from a cooler intake charge if this is done correctly, but I can't imagine it would make that much difference to justify the work. Just my opinion...

rain is not going to put enough water into your intake to hydrolock your engine. you really have to put a serious amount of water in the intake to lock up your motor.

an old school way of cleaning your chamber is to stick the hose into the carb while the idle is at about 1500. not full blast but on enough to put out a bunch of steam.

Back