Selling the Jeep

Thank you very much!! I now need to start learning all this stuff about Chevy trucks, even though I never finished learning all there is about Jeeps!

Okay, one more question: I am trying to get the rear drums off, but am having no luck. I unbolted the axle and removed it, but can't get the drum off now (the part of it that rotates and has the wheel lugs on it).

Also, with the front, how do you go about removing the rotors? I got the calipers off, but exactly how do you get the rest off?

ok, this is from my past and not with Jeeps, but there used to be a little star shaped wheel for the drum brakes to adjust them with - later on they came up with "self adjusters" so I don't know if it still applies. Anyway, you turn the wheel and back the shoes off the drum and then the drum slips right off. The rotors should be held on by a big nut (wheel bearing behind it). I believe they used to have a cotter pin holding the nut on - underneath a grease cap or something. Spin that nut off and the rotor should come right off.
But I'm an old fart and those are my memories from the past - haven't wrenched on my Jeep yet. So if I'm full of it, just ignore me - no offence taken. My two bits, thats all.

mud

Hey Junkpile, the NP205 I think only came in the models with the muncie 4 spd and the auto's had np 206. there was also a full time 4wd T case offered in the GMC line which was a piece of crap. I have built a bunch of these trucks:
74 short bed 1/2 ton
77 blazer 3/4 ton running gear, that I still have
79 jimmy with that stupid full time 4wd for a plow truck.

There are three things you need to keep you eye on.
1. the rocker pannels. they may look nice now but in a month they will completely rust out
2. the frame up near the steering box. You can get a stegthening bracket to shore it up. the frame on these trucks has a tendency to break at this point
3. the front cross member in the pre 83 (I think might be 84) chevy's are pretty weak. you can get a after market model to beef it up or modify a post 83 (or 84) cross member to fit!

To get the rear drum off, simply remove the tire, then the drum should be able to pop off. the uneven wearing of pads might have beveled or scored the drum so use a nice BFH to get that bad boy off!

Well,I'm no expert, and I haven't even really built one of these trucks.

Damn, I did forget about the NP203. The np203 fulltime case came out in 73, and was only available behind automatics. I don't think it was until 76 that ALL automatics had that case though. There were three different output shaft spline counts used on the three different transmissions available. The 10 spline, 27 spline, and the 32 spline. The NP205 can be found laying in junkyards with any of the three, so it can be assumed that that Tcase was available with all three....but you know what they say about assumptions.

88wrangles if you've got an np203 and 44s being powered by a big block....ouch!!! Keep a spare drivechain handy.

I think the better engine crossmember came out in 85, but again I'm probably wrong. If yours breaks, fix it. It has probably already broken and been repaired with that setup. The steering box mount is not so obvious and is often overlooked until the box gets ripped from the frame.

Never heard of an np206. What are the specs and what years was it used?

Also, that is a full-floating rear axle. It's been awhile, but I don't think the drums just fall off when the wheel is removed. It's similar to the front setup. PM redrooster, he's running that rear axle in his CJ.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so if I don't have full time 4x4, but I still have the automatic, which transfer case would I have? Is it a np206??

I don't think the rear drums just fall off either. I've soaked 'em in just about every kind of lubricant, and used a really huge BFH, and still no luck at all.

Sometimes if you put some heat on the drums on its contact points it will help relieve some of the tension. But if there is something else holding it on, it won't do a thing. Just something to consider.

Well, if the link works, here are some pictures. They don't really do the truck any justice though!!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4285995007&congratulation_page=Y

Finally got the engine and everything finished. (rebuilt 454 with high performance cam, pistons, intake, carberator, and pretty much everything else!). Took it out for a drive the other day and it will easily smoke the 44's with ease on dry pavement (keep in mind it is an auto transmission and still has the stock 4.10 gears).

Back