Selling the Jeep

88Wrangles

Jeep Stock Wheels - Backspacing

Well, I've decided to trade in the Jeep for something bigger and better!! I found a guy that wanted to trade straight across for his '74 Chevy, which has a 454, 15" lift, and 44" TSL's. But don't worry, I won't leave Jeepz!!!! I'm sure you guys will still be able to help me with any problems I might run into.

Turncoat! just kidding man, but you picked a hell of a time to but a 454 (gas prices)!!!

Glad to see you're sticking around!

Ya, I thought seriously about the gas prices!! But, I also figured that since this truck is already completely built (at least for a while) I can just use all the money that I would have spent building either it or my Jeep, and put that towards gas.

Boy, I can convince myself of anything!!

Re: Anyone here use weatherbug on thier pc?

That thing is a monster! You tell your friend about jeepz.

Re: "Best" TJ Mods (n00b quest)

post some pics, i gotta see this bad boy, i got a friend with a ford on 44s painted like a john deere

Well, the engine had some problems, so I am currently taking out the 454 from another truck, and putting it in this one. I will post some pictures when I am done though.

White, I don't really like Chevy's all that much either. It's just that this was such a good deal, I had to get it. Don't worry though, I'll beat it up real good once it gets running and show it what I think about Chevy's!!!

Well, performance aside, they all look pretty much the same under a couple inches of mud!!!!

Question from a friend

A 454 Chevy. You gotta watch wheeling with Jeeps now.

A. End up a tow truck
B. Or a winch point

Well, got the other 454 put in and all hooked up. Only problem is it turns over just fine, but the spark plugs won't spark. Not really use to the way the distributer and everything is set up on Chevy's, but I'm sure i'll eventually figure it out.

Junkpile, it's got a 14 bolt in the rear and I can't recall what's in the front. The Transmission is an auto, but I don't know what kind it is. It is a 3/4 ton.

D44 front. Probably a TH350 transmission, but it could be TH400 with the BB. Look at the pan, if it's shaped like a square with one corner cut off, it's a TH350.

Hey Junkpile, Thanks alot!! I've been trying to figure that stuff out (I don't know much about Chevy trucks). How can you tell if it's a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton (all I know is that it's a Scottsdale).

Thanks again!

The 3/4 and 1 tons will have 8 lugs. The 3/4 has a D44 front and the 1 ton has a D60 up front. The back axle in either one should be the full-floating 14 bolt corporate axle. I think the NP205 was the only Tcase offered in the early 70s. The 1/2 ton would have a 12 bolt semi-float corporate rear axle and a D44 front with 6 lugs. That is if it's all factory.....

Just to possibly catch a bad situation before it gets worse, check the frame where the steering box attaches for cracks. Big tire Chevys of that generation have a habit of developing hairline cracks around the bolt holes and letting the box work loose.

Well, mine does have 8 lugs. So how would you tell the difference between the two (do you have a good link of what the front diffs look like, or can you describe them).

Back