Sandblaster

bryanjeep

Ok, here is what I have got. I have a compressor from Lowes that has a 1.8 hp motor I think, 28 gallon tank, with 150 psi.

I need a sandblaster. I dont really need the cabinet, but the cabinets seem to come with the better handle. I don't want to spend over $70 for the handle. I need to find something that will work with my compressor. We have a local "cheap" tool supply store called Harbor Freight. I already tried their pressurized 20 gallon tank and did not like it. I guess a syphon unit will work better for me. What do you recommend? Where and how much? I am sandblasting the frame and body parts on the Jeep.

Have you ever done much sandblasting? I've heard it's very messy, hard to recover a shop or garage from it. I would think you'd need to be outside or in a booth. Let me know how it goes for ya, sure beats the hell out of sanding.

RE: Another example of why not to drink and drive.

Get the booth, Harbor Freight tools and Northern tool and equipment are both nation wide whole salers and sell them pretty cheap..

And if you are looking for a good media to blast with, eastwood co. sells this stuff called "Black Beauty" a very fine glass media that is great! But if doing body work, work in small sections cause the beading will warp the metal work!

Redrooster rollover pics

What are you blasting?
I have done plenty of blasting and can tell you that it makes life a lot easier. If you are doing small parts then it will benefit you to get a small cabinet where you can easily recooperate the material.
If you are doing a Jeep frame or body panels that are too large for a cabinet then you need a portable unit.
The name of the game in blasting is not pressure, but CFM (cubic feet of air per minute). You need to match the blaster CFm requirements to the CFM of your compressor or it will not work correctly. Your compressor will have a CFM rating at 40 psi somewhere on it.
There's nothing better than a good sandblaster when you are prepping for paint or welding.

I am sandblasting my frame and some body parts. My compressor is rated at 7.4 @ 40 & 6.1 @90. What do you recommend? I need a portable unit, but I want one that has a really good and reliable handle.

RE: Re: RE: Pop or soda?

I can't recommend any small budget units. I have never used them. In the past I was fortunate to have acces to some high dollar units at work.
I would say to pick a middle of the line unit from Harbor Freight.
I don't know what you mean by having a reliable handle. Usually its a ball valve to turn it on and off. The media is blasted though the ceramic tip. If you have trouble out of the "handle" it is more than likely due to clumping media caused by moisture, or the ceramic tip is clogged by debris from recycled media. Drain your air tank and get a water separator from Harbor Freight as well. They are inexpensive.

RE: Re: RE: Totally OT-Wanna Buy an Island?

Buy the nicest cabinet you can afford and fill it with glass beads, to do the small stuff. For the large stuff, find a local company that does it and either pay them to do it or see if you can get them to let you pay for the equipment time and do it yourself at their location. It's messy on a large scale, and I haven't found an affordable small portable unit yet that was worth a crap.

Back