Rusting away quickly HELP!

Beach_Jeep

Hello fellow 4wd ers.

Last year I bought my 3rd jeep. Its really a weekend toy/boat launcher/beach cruiser. I just got new seats/carpet/top for her. I live on the beach in Florida. Due to space, she is forced to sit outside. (Covered now) Rust has started to destroy my CJ! The hinges on the tail gate have totally rusted out, its rusted through the body. Other than diamond plating or a new tub is there a realistic fix for this. The body is starting to die quickly. I want to save her however, i'm concerned that the bondo job will only lead to other rust areas opening after paint. I'm decent with mechanics and can keep her running however, I have no experience in body work. I need to act soon before the conditon gets out of hand. :shock:

Regards,

KW

used to live in FL (orlando area) so rust was no stranger to me... (I LOVE the desert!) theres really not much you can do but cut and weld patch panels - there was something called "ospho" or something like that we used to use to treat metal after stripping/wirebrushing to bare metal that turned it black and stopped the rust - otherwise... go for the tub...as for bondo - just creates a new breeding ground for rust! yea... i miss rust!!! (sorry... had to go there!)

Try living in the north east! vehicles that are 5 years old, rust up here!

Cut the rust out and weld in a new pannel! that is the best method for making sure that it takes another 20 years for the rust to come back!

driver licensing and insurance general question...

Start by keeping it washed. Maybe even wax it to repel some of that sand and salty air. Get out one of the 4WD Hardware books and buy replacement panels. You can have them welded in if you don't know how to do that yourself. I have heard a lot of people talking about POR 15 rust killer paint. Try that out.
Once you fix all the rusted out spots, take it to the Line-X place and have it rubber coated in the floors and about 6 inches up the side on the exterior. Undercoat with some store bought stuff. That should do it.

Or you can always scrap that rusty tub and get a fiberglass one. You will never have a rust problem on a fiberglass tub.

Back