rubi owners

jeep90

now if you own a rubi and wheel it and use it the way that you should then this is not directed towards you. but its starting to seem to me that the rubicons are the new "yuppie jeep". i have met a few rubi owners now and they all seem like they bought it just because they wanted a convertible. they have no intention of wheeling it, they just thought that it looked "tougher" than the stock tj.

the other day i was sitting in traffic behind a neon green rubi, and noticed that the driver was a guy that i knew from way back. we were both headed to the local walmart, so i pulled in beside him to talk. i asked him how he liked his jeep and where he wheels it because i have permission on some local trails if he wants to check them out. he says "what? scratch my new paint?!?!?! he hasnt engaged the lockers since he got it and has no intentions of using them. he looked at my muddy jeep and said that he would never do that to his. i asked him why he bought a rubicon, and he says that he didnt want a square headlight yuppie jeep. :roll:

whats the deal here???? :?

Lets just face it, jeeps are cool. 8) I think most people buy them based on that.

you can easily spend much less money on a "non-yuppy" TJ without paying for the rubi package

Rubicon is a great out of the box jeep! Let's face it to go and buy a new Rubi and wheel it like it was designed to be wheeled you would have to either have a ton of extra cash laying around or just be a down and dirty serious jeeper from the get go! A poor ol slob like me would have to make them payments and for me to get out there and get serious with a new jeep would just be really hard for me. As would not wheeling it like I know it would need tob e used. Thus I will have yet another great running well thouhg out planed and built YJ next. I think I will call Bubbacon II in honor of my ol pal Gadget where ever he is! tug

my dad was the same way with his rubi when he got it, it was already lifted on 33s when he bought it but i took him out to the mountains and showed him how much stuff its capable of and he was in awe, he wants to get it on 36's now...

White said:
if you really want go anywhere performance, get a nice pair of boots.

To old to fat and to lazy here pal need a Jeep to take my butt to the woods! but I wear boots when I am in the jeep cause I have had to walk out! hehehe tug :wink:

I don't see why your complaining, those are the people that you will want to buy "used" Rubicon's from three years down the road for a cheap price cause they got sick of the ride!!!

shoot im waiting till the rubicons are ten years old then im gutting them and putting it all in my yj! by then ill be able to lable the beast as antique, and do a little rewelding of perches and voila! sprung over on d44's with lockers and swap out the transmission and tcase and im set, shoot ill just wait till i see a wrecked one and offer to take it away for free

As was stated by jeep90 "if you own a rubi and wheel it and use it the way that you should then this is not directed towards you". I understand that completely. I own an 04 Rubi and I wheel it and wheel it hard.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

I do get hassled by people a lot about it though. They say things like "why spend $30k on a rig like that then rip the suspension off and beat it to death" or "you could do that with an older jeep and save a lot of $". Well the Rubi comes loaded with a bunch of the mods I would have had to put on any rig that I would have gotten and is a great wheeler out of the box. I like mine and would buy another one if something happened to this one.

~Curt

M.O.R.E. 1" body lift YJ

Sully said:
Jeep is lookin real good curt!

Thanks Sully, A lot of people think I am nuts for doing what I have done to an 04 Rubicon but I like it and thats what I think is important. I am using it for what it was intended for and built it up a little more to handle what I put it through.

~Curt

i'm in charleston wv, and today is the first time that I have seen a rugged looking rubicon... personally, i love 'em, and i love yours SoundMan... I agree that the ones that you normally see are pjs, but this guy had done a lot of work with his by puttin on a large lift and big tires and the black wheels... it was even muddy and had a few dents on it!!

I got my Rubi because I liked it. I liked the way it looked. I liked the options it has. My Rubi is the first new vehical that I have ever owned and I am 32 years young. When It is paied off I will wheel it a bit harder, but for now I will use it to go to work and ride trails that are nice and mellow. Please excuse me for not wheeling my 30k rubi like you think I should.

whiterubicon said:
I got my Rubi because I liked it. I liked the way it looked. I liked the options it has. My Rubi is the first new vehical that I have ever owned and I am 32 years young. When It is paied off I will wheel it a bit harder, but for now I will use it to go to work and ride trails that are nice and mellow. Please excuse me for not wheeling my 30k rubi like you think I should.

Hold on a minute!

If you got a rubicon and don't want to wheel it thats cool by me and probably as far as anyone else on this board is concerned it is going to be cool by them too. I bought mine for about the same price and then dropped another $10k or $11k into it with OBA, a 5.5" RE long arm kit, tires, exhaust, armor, and more stuff than I care to list here. That was my choice and lots of people think I am nuts for doing it. Mine has under 6k miles on it now, it is dented here and there. Nothing major but it is getting used for what I wanted to use it for. Thats why I bought it. I picked it up because it was a great platform to start with to build a very capable rock crawler. If you choose to keep yours on the pavment thats great, I don't think anyone has said anything to the contrary. Rubi's are great jeeps, loaded and comfy, I choose to use mine on some of the toughest trails in the country, that is my choice. BTW congrats on getting a Rubi, they are great trail rigs right out of the box.

I love to wheel and am looking into buying something I can pay cash for so that I can get a bit crazy. But until This thing is paied for ar at least veary close to it I kinda wanna keep it nice. I don't know about anyone else but it is hard to send off that monthly payment when you are the bread winner of a family of 5 with a stay at home wife. One does not have to be wheelin a trail made by a goat to have fun. Just watch out goats, caus in a few years you will be sharing the rocks with me.

You and I are in very different situations. My Rubi is paid for, I am single, no kids at home, I don't have any bills other than monthly utilities and my toys. If I beat my rubi up chasing goats then so be it.

I thought the trails you would be on in central Fl would be gator trails not goat trails :lol:

Back