Rooster's Tip of the Day

redrooster

Last night, I found yet another use for a ratchet strap. I found myself needing an extra hand while adjusting the belts on my old 360. The alternator is the tensioning point for one of the belts and is difficult to adjust on the old AMC V8's. I didn't have enough hands to hold tension on the alternator and tighten the bolts too.
So here it is: I got a ratchet strap and looped it around the alternator, then fed it under the inner fender and hooked the other end to the edge of my beadlock and tightened her down. It worked like a charm and no more squealing belt.
Any body else got any more tips?

Back in September on a trail ride, one of the people that ventured out with us had his frame rotted pretty bad (unknown to anyone including himself) well, one good thump and the T-case skid plate kinda feel off! well the drivers side bolts pulled out. I had a ratchet strap in my YJ so we use it to hold the T-case skid plate up so he could finish the rest of the day!!

Oh Ya, Bizzle, where is my strap?

I've found that a wet/dry hand vac (one from K-mart for $10) Is a life saver when you suck water into your intake. That and plenty o' duct tape.

I've found that a wet/dry hand vac (one from K-mart for $10) Is a life saver when you suck water into your intake. That and plenty o' duct tape.
Until you get a little gas in there and the spark from the electric motor sets it off in your hand.

I used a strap when I broke my U Joint to hold the drive shaft up out of the way while I drove back to the road. I could not get the drive shaft off because of those wierd bolts they use. I still do not know what they are. If anyone knows the size or what let me know I need to replace them with something I can remove. Anyway the strap frayed a little but it was the best I could do with out anyone with me to haul me back.

MerkL said:
I have a tip, but not about ratchet straps. Just a general tip, don't spit into the wind!

and don't tug on Supermans cape....

I could not get the drive shaft off because of those wierd bolts they use. I still do not know what they are. If anyone knows the size or what let me know I need to replace them with something I can remove.
They are either the small u-bolts that take a 1/2" wrench or the fine thread bolts that take a 3/8" wrench. You may be able to get the bolts at an auto parts store, but most of them come with the strap kit.

Mine are the weird star ones. They are not inverce torques like I thought. I am going to switch them out for the 3/8 when I figure out how to get them off. When I swapped my axles last week I just took the U-joint off. It needed to be replaced anyway. Now I only have the goofy bolts on the transfercase side of both front and back driveshafts.

They are not inverce torques like I thought. I am going to switch them out for the 3/8 when I figure out how to get them off.
Sounds like somebody put some 12 point bolts on there. Use a box end wrench with 12 points on it. A socket more than likely will not fit or you could use that. You may have to rotate and pick up on the shaft to get your wrench in just the right spot. You can do it though.

redrooster said:
Until you get a little gas in there and the spark from the electric motor sets it off in your hand.

Hmm... Explosive substances + a typical electric Motor = :shock:
Brushless motors would be a different story. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

when wiring up stuff in your jeep don't forget that black is neutral unlike with ac.

oh and for some reason fords seem to like pulling out infront of jeeps.

Hi,

Actually a Black wire in a Direct Current (DC) system is a Ground wire. You usually only refer to a wire as being a "neutral" if it is part of an Alternating Current (AC) system. Ok, sorry for being so technical :p :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Don't mess with the bull, unless you want the horns.

Or, from a sign I saw once, "Don't cross this field unless you can do it in 10 seconds. The bull does it in 11.5" I use to have a picture of that sign.

yeah yeah what ever :roll: :lol:

that's what i meant. right. i kind of forgot about that at the time. thanks for the correction.

Back