Road Armor Matrix Bumper

Gone&DoneIt

Any have this or seen a Jeep with one of these bumpers wheel? I loved the look but am a little worried about impacts on approach angles when crawling. Love to hear thoughts and testimonials.

Thanks All

looks a little MASSIVE for me..whats the price tag on somthing like that?

yeah that looks like extreme overkill. I would imagine you'd have to put some spring spacers on the front just to keep your lift level. I'm a big fan of simplicity and functionality. Just my 2cents.

I would have to agree with jumppr, "simplicity and functionality", all though it does look like an impressive hunk of steel, I would look at the practical purpose of the set up...

I think it's gawdy, but still better than this one:
image-missing.png

TwistedCopper said:
I think it's gawdy, but still better than this one:
image-missing.png

I agree, Harry.....but I still can't believe you took that off the XJ before you sold it and put it on your Jetta!:shock:

Hey, ya Its preatty sweet looking but I think looks override the functunality of this bumper, I threw on a Warn bumper for 180 Bucks on Ebay Put a mouting plate for and a warn 9000lb wench and a cople of nice looking D rings for pry less then that bumper. I saw one on the road the other day, couldnt deside if it looked sweet or rediculious.

Looks like a Hummer wannabe. Go traditional. It will save you a few bucks for sure! It'll probably be stronger to. Remember, the proverb of the deer that was proud of his antlers, but hated his skinny legs? Its the performance that matters.

pdparker said:
Go traditional. It will save you a few bucks for sure! It'll probably be stronger to.

not to bew argumentative but I have a chance to get this thing for $300.00 brand new. I called ROad Armor yesterday and found out they sell for $1160.00. They weight 125 lbs and stand off the front a foot.

"This Bumper is made of the 3/16" highest grade ASTM A36 descaled and oiled sheet steel materials, with a minimum yield of 36,000 PSI. This high grade steel is clean of any mill scale and presents and superior finish for Powder Coating , Armor Coating etc.

Pre-RunnerGuard is made with 2 " OD X .120 Wall mandural bend tub for the side guard

Engineered to fit the 97+ Jeep TJ as if it was stock application. Fits up around the grill and along the finder line like factory. This bumper has been laser cut hand broke and welded.

Ready for Warn or Mile Marker Winches up to a 9500 lb. Light Cans are build around the PIAA 510's and 1100's

This Bumper will set your vehicle apart form the others. A cut above the Rest.

Weight 125 lbs.
100% 3/16" Steel
Shackles for Pulling
Adds a quality look to your Rig
All hardware provided
$1158.00"

I don't know,... I personally like the look, and it will be taking A Lot of abuse rock crawling (you should see the stock bumper on there now,... it's funny as helll!) My only worry is functionality, is it going to kill my approach angles. Thanks for the feedback everyone, this is what I wanted, opinions and testimony.

Last edited:
Looks like a snowplow. I wouldn't pay $1 for an item that was likely to hurt the performance. If you are getting ready to go to Moab, you would do a lot better to get a bumper that gives you more clearance on approach. $300 is still exxpensive for a bumper. I made mine for less than $40.

You'll find that you hang up the rocks more using that thing. Plus it looks alot more than 125 lbs. I just made one out off 2x4 3/16 square tube and hacked the ends at the angle i wanted. bounce off rocks all day and still looks decent.

Looks ok for mall crawlin', but I'd pass on it for the trail. From the looks of it, the bottom front edge of the bumper appears to be 4 or 5 inches lower than stock, plus if you said it sticks out a foot further than stock, that's a lot of heavy metal to get hung up on stuff.....yeah, it'll definitely kill your approach angle. I'd also be kinda concerned about handling with that much weight hanging that far out in front of the front axle. You may even need to beef up the springs/shocks to keep the Jeep level with that behemoth on there.:!:

If you like the look then go for it, however, if your only concern is performance then you'd be better off with something else

Looks like it would be good for wheel hunting

After looking at there website, I dont like that Matrix bumper as much as there other two, check out there rock crawling bumper, that looks preatty cool except for the price, and the fact you might want tube fenders.

Back