Replace Factory Speakers in 89 YJ

Postofficemike

I wanted to replace the factory speakers in my 1989 Wrangler YJ as the old ones were dry rotted and unusable. I got my Haines Jeep Manual out and read that you "reach" up and around the right side and unscrew the nuts holding it on and then unplug. Doable after about an hour of trying to figure out how to reach around. And I have small hands. Then I read how you remove the parking brake pedal and "reach" around and do the same. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I could not get my hand up to the top nuts. I wound up having to unbolt the dash and pulling it back to reach it. A newborn's hand may have fit, but not mine. What, if anything did I do wrong? Have ordered and waiting for delivery. Shortcuts, please? Thanks.

I don't think that you did anything wrong. It's very tight in that area of the dash and don't doubt that you had to loosen the dash to get the speaker out. In the near future I have to take my windshield hinges off and i'm not looking forward to getting my extra large paws up in there to put the nuts back on.

yeah you not dumb haha whoever designed the yj is. its a very confusing and frustrating vehicle. but my advice is order a sound bar from quadratec. its a little expensive but totally worth every penny

I don't think that you did anything wrong. It's very tight in that area of the dash and don't doubt that you had to loosen the dash to get the speaker out. In the near future I have to take my windshield hinges off and i'm not looking forward to getting my extra large paws up in there to put the nuts back on.
I just replaced my windshield hinges with stainless ones, and the nuts are welded to the back side of the body. same as in the windshield fame. you shouldnt have any trouble replacing the hinges, I did mine in about 20 minutes per side.

I'm not sure if their welded on or if the black goop that they put up in their just holds them in place. When i took my 88 tub off it seemed like they were welded in but when i replaced it with the 92 tub they weren't.

I'm not sure if their welded on or if the black goop that they put up in their just holds them in place. When i took my 88 tub off it seemed like they were welded in but when i replaced it with the 92 tub they weren't.

Some are welded some aren't..... So I cut two pieces of 5/16-18 threaded rod about 3" long. When I remove the screws I replace them one at the time with one of these rods. That way when I take the hinges out, they can't fall too far and I can just pull them back when I am ready to screw them back on. I take the rod out one at the time and replace it with a screw. I replace my front speakers with Polk marine speakers that have also built in tweeters and made some cool speaker covers because the sheet metal from the dash was all bent and I didn't like it anyway. Removing the roll bar, dropping the windshield, replacing the speakers and putting it all back together took me about 1 hr using air tools. If you pull your dsh forward you should have enough room for your hands. Don't forget to use some lubricant on the threads so it so hold down nuts will come off easy next time you need to replace speakers again.... Always think ahead. It must be a Jeep thing..... Be prepared.

Back