Removing the power steering pump and serpentine belt question

Engir

I am trying to remove these items from 87 XJ but watching videos nothing for an XJ looked like what I am seeing under my hood and I started watching other Jeep video on removing these items until I found this video for a Grand Cherokee 83-88 yesterday.

This video the layout is exactly like mine but then he is talking about loosening two slide bolts under the pump and this is what is on mine.

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-28 at 08.00.00_3ec81a5f.jpg

Does anyone know how this is suppose to work to get play in the belt to remove it?

Loosen the nut facing the radiator and then turn the silver ine facing the camera. It is in a nut and when you teist it, it should push your belt tighter. Make sure there is not anoher bolt on top or behind that also needs to be loosened first, though

I have loosened the bolt facing the radiator assuming it was some kind of lock moving the bolt facing the camera that to me should adjust it does nothing

Hmm, twisting the ine facing the camera should tighten the belt, unless there is another bolt taht is also locking the ps pump. I will have to walk out and see what it looks like on our wrangler. See if its the same tensioning system

That looks pretty maxed out though. There doesnt seem to be much more room on the bracket to slide outwards

Last edited:
Back