RearEnds

FiCJeep

I want pros and cons to the Dana 60 and the 14 Bolt

I am looking to setup my CJ with one of these two rearends and want to know what you all think

thanks FiC

I am going with a 3/4 ton Dana 44 for the front

i would go with a 14 bolt simply because

Pro's
1) they are cheaper than a 60'
2) the gears are easier to set up for a 14 bolt
3) they are stronger than a dana 60

Con's

1) less ground cleareance than a dana 60
2) less locker options( but who needs lockers when you have spools or a welder!!!!)

that is all i can think of right now...i dont have much experence with them cause i run a ford 9inch....for now lol :lol:

Yep, what West said is very true. If I had to shoose between the two, I would go with the 14 bolt. It does limit ground clearance a little bit more, but sure is a lot harder to break a 14 bolt.

I've got a 10.5" 14 bolt on the rear of my Chevy pickup, which has a bored/stroked 454, 44" Swampers, 5.71 gears, heavy right foot, etc, etc, and I have never had any problems with it.

By the way, there are 2 14 bolts. One has a 9.5" ring gear, and the other is a 10.5".

hmmm, I'll have to look into that. I'm not exactly sure what qualified them to have the larger one. The 14 bolts only came in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Mine is a 3/4 ton and it has the larger ring gear. I also have a 2wd 1-ton, and it has the larger ring as well, so, I really couldn't tell you.

I'll try and find out though, unlless someone else knows!

It depends on tire size and intended use. A D60 is plenty strong for most built V8s and tires up to 39". A 14 bolt kind of picks up where a factory D60 starts to fall short. If I could afford the list of aftermarket parts needed and I was concerned about weight, I'd go D60 all the way up to 44s. Otherwise, a FACTORY 10.5" FF 14 bolt can handle some serious abuse, and is really cheap in comparison. I can get good 14 bolts for $200 all day long, but a rear D60 can get pricey even at the junkyard. A better comparison would be between a FF 14 bolt and a D70......but good luck finding and building one of those without busting the budget. Another axle that can be a nice and cheap answer for big tires is the Ford Sterling found under F-250 and F-350s.

In a Jeep, running a 10.5" 14 bolt with something like 38" TSLs is like running a Rockwell with 44" Boggers.......you'll have a hard time breaking it, but overkill can be a bad thing too.

The smaller 14 bolt is a semi-float design and they come with a 6 lug bolt pattern, as opposed to 8. They come under light-duty 2500s and I think they are what's used under the "Heavy Half-Ton" and some SUVs. It's a GREAT upgrade for a 1/2ton Chevy. Good alternative to a D60 if you don't want a FF 8 lug rear axle. I'm surprised that none of the big axle builders have started using the centersections in custom fronts.

OK, that makes sense Junkpile. That's what I kind of figured, but didn't want to say it until I knew for sure.

Thanks!!

The only down side of the 14 bolt that is not listed yet, and this is my experience and might have had to do with me beating the crap out of mine but.... the brake design is less than desirable

Rockwells:
There is a guy who sells them local for $300 a piece. the problem is they are expensive to build and modify

The 14 bolt only has a few options for lockers, one being the Detroit. None that I know of are full carrier lockers, not that you need it with that monstrous carrier. An army CUCV Chevy truck will have a 4.10 or 4.56 ratio 14 bolt with Detroit. I got mine for $500.
As far as I know the lowest ratio for the 14 bolt is 5.13. You can get lower gears for a 60.
A 60 is pretty strong, but the shafts aren't as big as a 14 bolt. They are actually a 30 spline Full float that is about the same size as a Dana 44 shaft. Some people will bore the spindles, use a 35 spline carrier and run Dana 70 shafts. That can get pricey.
You really have to ask yourself where you eventually want to take you rig. I wish I would have gone 1 tn from the get go. I could have saved a lot of money vs. those Dana 44s. Every area is defferent though.
The 60 should be fine up to a 39" tire, but the 44 front will likely explode. A 14 bolt can go up to a 44" tire but you will need a Dana 60 front at minimum for that.
Basically if you are going to run 38's or less go with the 44/60 combo and save some ground clearance in the rear. Any larger then go with a 60/14 bolt for strength.

Back