Rear trac bar removal?

YJnamedTJ

Just wonderin you guys what exactly does the rear trac bar do? If removed does it create unstable on road driving and what are some specific advantages and disadvantages? also does anyone have any idea about a good lift thats not gonna break my wallet.... i only want somthin like 1-3" so i dont have to drop the transfer case and all....ok well as soon as yall think of somethin hit me back and i havent heard many replies on the rest of my list of mods to my jeep. so yeah let me know about it ok.

So do you have a YJ or a TJ?? On a TJ you can remove the Rear "Sway Bar" but not the Trac-Bar. On a YJ you can remove the Trac-bar (from what I have read here.)

i Have a yj and have been reading a lil bit about it and again i havent heard any downsides to it or exactly what it does?

remove the rear trac-bar. For the first 2 days of driving, you'll notice a little extra body roll in the back, but you'll learn to compensate. It's not unsafe, since your rear axle is not your steering axle.

As far as a 1"-3" lift for under $500, try an add-a-leaf kit (AAL). These are good for 1.5-2" of lift. You can run 31's with this setup and shouldn't need a t-case drop. But you're probably gonna want more lift later down the road. For $389, you can get a 4" kit from www.hellcreeksuspensions.com which includes shocks and the dropped pitman arm. It's a very complete kit. Uses RoughCountry parts, except for the springs. I just put this lift on my Jeep last saturday and am loving it. Also, I'm not running a front track bar, nor sway bars. My articulation is great, but it's a little wobbly on the road. But it's mostly cause I still have my dinky 30's... I get my 33's tomorrow. That should help my stability.

di you have to get a sye kit also? because thats what im really afraid of doin cause i dont have much sense when it comes to gears and involved things. i am trying to lear though and i know the only way to lear this stuff is to do it.....what do i need to do to remove the rear trac bar? and can i keep it for later use?

Hard top for sell

You will not need an SYE until you get to 5" of lift. Some say 3.5" but I have 5.25" with a 1.5" t-case drop kit and it's fine (so far). But don't get me wrong! An SYE and CV shaft is the way to go. You can do it for about $500 even. The SYE/CV will be my next mod - certainly.

To remove the rear track bar, you will need a torx socket (T-55 or T-50, don't remember... just get a set, your Jeep is full of Torx head bolts) and you'll need a wrench/socket to hold the nut on the back of the bolt. It is ridiculous easy. Seriously... 2 bolts and you're done. You don't even need to jack up the Jeep. Just crawl under there, identify it, and remove the two bolts. If your YJ is old, some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench will help. And YES, certainly you can keep the track bar in case you want to re-install it. In fact, if you want, just remove the bolt that connects the bar to the axle and zip-tie the bar up out of the way. Then go for a ride to see what it feels like. I suggest trying out a freeway ride so you can get a full sense of the change. This way, if you don't like it, you've only removed one bolt and reinstalled one bolt. A word to the wise though, if you're gonna put the bar back in, replace that Torx bolt with a hex-head so regular wrenches can be used in the future.

Sorry for the long post.

C

The rear track bar (or any track bar for that matter) controls side-to-side movement of the axle. It's not really needed in the rear since the axle tracks behind the solid spring hangers which do not introduce side-to-side movement.

The front, on the other hand, uses shackles in front of the axle which introduces a lot of side-to-side movement when traveling forward. Leave it attached.

I've been running without my rear track bar and front sway bar for years now. Losing rear track bar was not noticable, but running with no sway bar took a little getting used to. It's not for everybody so be careful.

transmission for sale

if you keep in mind that you are driving a jeep, and consider the caution of driving a high center of gravity vehicle (or any vehicle at that)... you should be totally fine with the tracbar, and the front sway gone... on a yj that is

I am driving around disconected in the front I busted one of My quick disconects, Its a little wobbly but I like it. Talk to twistedcopper he removed both his trac bars on his 92

i took the rear trac bar off my 87 yj. i love it. i gets a little more flex and i havent really noticed a steering difference.

the t case drop kit looks really ugly hi c and i was trying to stay away from doing that ya know but do you think i could get away with a 3" lift and the rear tract bar removed and a teloscoping sway bar? id like to keep 31" tires or mabe go to 33" but that s all.... any ideas...and what about shackle lifts? how high is a safe bet to go with shackle lifts? again any help is well appriciated....btw do any of yall know any place in virginia to go wheeling cause i havent been able to go in a legal place for a while so id like to get some time on the trail. well let me know guys

jeepdude832 said:
I am driving around disconected in the front I busted one of My quick disconects, Its a little wobbly but I like it. Talk to twistedcopper he removed both his trac bars on his 92

Actually, just the rear one. I had my front swaybar disconnected for about a month, but it's back together. I threw away the rear trackbar. Do the same, you won't regret it.

YJnamedTJ said:
the t case drop kit looks really ugly hi c and i was trying to stay away from doing that ya know but do you think i could get away with a 3" lift and the rear tract bar removed and a teloscoping sway bar? id like to keep 31" tires or mabe go to 33" but that s all.... any ideas...and what about shackle lifts? how high is a safe bet to go with shackle lifts? again any help is well appriciated....btw do any of yall know any place in virginia to go wheeling cause i havent been able to go in a legal place for a while so id like to get some time on the trail. well let me know guys

you will need to do a xfer drop or a sye with 3" of lift. If you don't do it when you lift it, I guarantee you will do either on or the other soon after.

b4 removal of rear trck bar
image-missing.png

after removal
image-missing.png

any questions?????

i'm running a 2" lift & 1.5" shakles, no SYE or other crazy contraptions YET!!

Back