rear end

Big Dan

I've got a 78 CJ5 with 360. A slight grinding noise started about 10 miles ago. Pulled it in shop, jacked up and found I can easily pull entire wheel, axle and all out. Stopped there. Still has the tapered axles. Any ideas guys?

Whoa, what keeps it in place? A c-clip or sOmething

A bearing retainer plate holds it in. Either the plate is worn out and letting the bearing out or the bearing is shot and slipping out through the plate. Either way, most likely both need to be replaced.

Wheel bearing is probably junk, also check the axle shaft bearing surface, I like to polish the surface before I press on new bearings. if the new bearing does not press on with some resistance, time for a new shaft.

If you don't already have one piece shafts, this would be a good time to upgrade, lots of aftermarket 1 piece shafts will come with new bearings and retainers already on the shaft

I was thinking about the one piece axles as well. I have the ones from my 76 CJ5. I need to find out if they'll match up. So otherwise it should be a kinda easy fix then,huh.

Yep, wheel bearing GONE!! Gonna throw in one piece axles and put'er back together. Should have checked it out when I bought it, but I've only put bout 200 miles on it. So.... Wish me luck ;-)

Yep, wheel bearing GONE!! Gonna throw in one piece axles and put'er back together. Should have checked it out when I bought it, but I've only put bout 200 miles on it. So.... Wish me luck ;-)

Post some pictures of the shot bearing and new axle install if you get a chance.

Back