real shwag BL

Greencuke

i heard the other day that u can make a "getto" BL by drilling holes in hockey pucks. just though id share this w/ the class[addsig]

I've done it on 3 YJ's now with absolutely no problems. $25 for 11 pucks and 11 grade 8 bolts 1" longer than stock.

Works great, especially for somebody cheap like me. You'll hear all kinds of war stories about this setup, from people with no hard facts or first-hand experience to back it up. I've even heard some say they crack when it freezes. Um, how does the NHL use them frozen then? Imagine the force exerted in a slapshot.

They are pliable rubber so they absorb shock well, and dampen vibrations. They are wider than the stock body mounts and most aftermarket body lifts, thus resisting leverage placed on them when the body and frame try to go different directions.

I can't think of a reason not to do this
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Useful info and thanks as I to am very cheap when I get a chance to be. Will let all know how it works for me once it is completed. Now where do I get Hockey pucks in the south.
image-missing.png
Tug[addsig]

Hockey puck lifts are real popular around here, I helped a friend put one on his 69 Bronco a few weeks ago, and the ride was alot better than with the body lift he had on before. Putting the pucks on mine in a week or so, when they come in the mail.[addsig]

Got mine at a Sporting Goods resale shop called 'Play it Again Sports' for $0.99 each. Hard to beat that price, and they are the real thing.[addsig]

How thick is a puck! Man that sounds Lude. has anyone ever doubled the puck! Lude too. I am going to be quiet now. Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

dudes, sorry i brought it up, but doesn't this seem pretty getto? i mean y dont u just slap some kmart lights and hubcaps on that bad boy while ur at it?

[addsig]

I've seen up to three pucks stacked, but im sticking with two. Hey it's ghetto but I'm all for cheap mods that work.[addsig]

Each puck is 1". I don't recommend stacking them, the higher you go the more leverage is placed on the body mount, tub, and bolt.

It's Ghetto, but not as much as you talkin trash. Use what works for you, don't be bashin what may work for others
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>dudes, sorry i brought it up, but doesn't this seem pretty getto? i mean y dont u just slap some kmart lights and hubcaps on that bad boy while ur at it?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Does not sound so "getto" to me! Think if the pucks are strong and as many say they work as well as they do, and they are a bit wider than the lift kits why is it so getto. If it works and you save money I think it is smart! Tug [addsig]

I've been hearing people debate the pros and cons of this for a while... I kinda lean towards thinking that its on the ghetto side, but only because I question what drilling a hole in the middle does to the integrity of the puck. Some people use boat rollers too (you can pick em up at most hardware stores), which already have a hole in the middle.

If I were going to do a body lift though, I think that it would be worth the piece of mind to buy the pucks from MORE for $5/piece

just my $0.02,

jim

85 CJ[addsig]

The horror stories you hear are from people stacking them. Grade 8 bolt will shear under extreme lateral forces (like you get with stacking), not bend like grade 5 (don't use those either)... have fun with your ghetto rig...
image-missing.png

Make sure you don't get into any wrecks... unless you like the feeling of the body leaving the frame...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back