Ratteling noise PLEASE HELP

ZBTstang

Today my jeep started making a loud ratteling almost like a knocking from underneath.

When I come to a complete stop this happens. I think it may be my transmission. Please give me some ideas as to what this can be.

98 TJ SE(4cycl) 81k miles[addsig]

First thought to come to mind is check your motor mounts. One may be broken.[addsig]

Get some help, start the Jeep, use the brake, crawl underneath and look/listen for the rattle. jprtroy has the idea. It could also be a muffler rattle. If it's making that much noise, it should be easy to find.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I think you are right, my sisters 99 suburban's tranmission made rattling noises just before the transmission went. But she's got 110,000 miles on it. Good luck![addsig]

If it sounds like a coffee can full of marbles, probably the cat. If it's more of a rod knock, check for an exhaust leak. [addsig]

Thanks for all your help guys. Thankfully it was only the catalytic convertor, and its still under warranty!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ooooo you got lucky, last time i heard the dreaded knock knock knock sound was from a broken connecting rod in my chevy truck. the beast had 184000 miles on it tho, which is fairly impressive for a 350 V8 all original. [addsig]

ooooo you got lucky, last time i heard the dreaded knock knock knock sound was from a broken connecting rod in my chevy truck. the beast had 184000 miles on it tho, which is fairly impressive for a 350 V8 all original. had to have it rebuilt and then i sold it and got myself a nice 93 YJ ~ my baby.[addsig]

Back