Questions for your opinions?

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
Bang Bang for My Buck.

I am in the process of looking for a good used 8.8 to put in my 94 YJ. it is no longer my daily driver, but I do drive it often, at least once every two days. plus my daily driver is a $200 beater that is a day to day operation, so if it should fail, back to the jeep for the 50 mile hike to work every day.

I have been really interested in some HD axles and I want it to be as tough as possible. so... How about a set of Rockwell's I have been doing a lot of reading in JP mag and they seam pretty stout. does anyone know what the drivability of these things are?? Can I get to the trail head with some level of comfort, or are they just plain horrible on the road.

This is all just curiosity and dreaming going on here, I don't have this type of cash, but was wondering.

I can't help you out with your question but I went to check out the website you mentioned and .... ummm, I don't think there is anything there about axles. It is a German erotic art website. Ooops, definately not work friendly viewing. :shock: :oops:

The website you listed was not appropriate and all reference to it was removed (from both posts). Be sure you have those correct when you list them, that one couldn't be further from on-topic :lol:

Are you talking about the Rockwell 2.5T axle? Not realistic IMO or you're talking about a different axle. The 8.8 is the way to go, those things are beefy.

If you want more beef, you'll probably have to go full-width like D60 or 14bolt. Remember that if you install 3/4 and 1 ton parts, it soon starts to drive like a 3/4 or 1 ton, taking away the nimbleness and fun of a jeep.

New mods

I just found an old issue of Jp Magazine that I had kicking around, a couple of years old but it has a complete article on the 8.8" install on a YJ. If you want I can scan and email it to you. This couldn't have come at a better time since I'll be putting mine in very soon.

Sorry for what ever I did, I think I only got half the cut and paste, this is what it should be
www.usa6x6.com
My bad :oops:

I am going to do a 8.8, thats what I want, and I know all about them, I was just curious as to the road manners of 2.5 ton axles. especially with only 2k lb's riding above them.

Remember that if you install 3/4 and 1 ton parts, it soon starts to drive like a 3/4 or 1 ton, taking away the nimbleness and fun of a jeep.
I beg to differ on that. If you put 3/4 or 1 ton springs then it would ride like one. As for nimbleness, maybe you can get between a few more trees where I just have to run them over (sorry Greenpeace).
Anyway, back to the Rockwells. There are many sets roaming around here and I have helped put a few in. They are not for your everyday driver. The 6.72 gears are usually complemented by 44" tires, which makes the acceleration and power ok. The major factor is cost. You can get Rockwells around here for $600 per axle (for steering axles, ie front ends).
Then you have to buy the tires, lockers, pinion brakes,custom wheels, hydraulic steering, do some machining and major fabrication.
Since the axles are top loaders, you have some clearance issues with the radiator and engine in the front and the gas tank in the rear, thus massive lift is inherent. Most people ditch the factory brakes for the pinion brake setup. That will cut the weight down.
The axles are wide as all outside, so you can narrow it up by removing the hub and machining .220" off the inside and turn it around when you put it back on. You have to knock out the wheel studs and turn them around too. I think that narrows them up by 10 or 11 inches.
If you are going to run two steering axles then you have to remove the offset center section from the rear and turn it around and drill a few new holes. This gets the pinion back in the center for the driveshaft. You can run a fixed non steering rear, but the turning radius on these things are poor so many people opt for the 4 wheel steering.
Once you have done all that you have to modify your suspension to get these things in there, not to mention custom made u-bolts and such.
After all the suspension fab, you have to turn these bad boys. Factory power steering won't cut it. Hydraulics all the way around with the rear controlled by a hand operated valve you put between the seats.
Then you have to get the driveshafts made.
Everybody says $600 is cheap for those monster axles, but all said and done your are looking at about $5000 the way we do them (that's with leaf springs, not a coilover setup).
You can go to www.nocrybabies4x4.com to see plenty of pictures of Rockwells rigs and there is a buildup in there somewhere.
I'm staying with the 1 tons. They go everywhere the Rockwells do and I can drive down the street with ease.

WOW

Well, I was at the "salvage yard" today and found a 97 explorer that was a front end collision and the 8.8 is still intack. the yard manager wanted $275 for the axle if I remove it or $400 if he pulls it... umm, OK, a sawzall, die grinder with 4" cut-off wheels and a hi-lift and that sucker is mine!! The only problem is some one already raided the passenger rotor and e-brake assembly, but the calaper is there and my friend works at a brake shop so I can get a lot of parts at cost.

The rockwells are nothig more than a dream, If I was to go to something like that, I would option a set of portal axles out of a unimog. with a SOA with 4" lift springs and a set of 44" tires, But we can all dream.

Thank all for the imput!

A portable torch works well too. Then all you have to do is un-bolt the driveshaft and diconnect the brake lines and cable. I tried that once with a rechargeable sawzall. The battery wouldn't make it through cutting all the u-bolts. Besides, you may want to save those anyway.

Back