Question for PASmokeater

RayOvac

Hey rob you said that when you go down to TN for the june outing you were going to tow dingus's rig down there? I certainly hope you aren't going to pull it with your jeep...I was just thinking about it today and really...jeeps are not the best vehicles for towing trailers....especally that far. I have towed a trailer with mine and let me tell you when it gets a bit windy...
image-missing.png
yeah...anyway I have heard some bad stories about ppl trying to tow others with thier jeeps...unless its with a strap I don't think its such a good idea. Check out this thread I was just reading....

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=offroadjeepshort&Number=984134&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1[addsig]

heh i drove a '00 TJ with a utility trailer part way to mexico this summer. it sucked. big time. rob's not towing my rig down... we were just joking about that. if i'm going, i'm driving. hopefully i'll get my cruise control working by then.[addsig]

Thats cool...I was kind of wondering about that....4000lb TJ pullin a 6000lb XJ hehe. I sure hope you get your stuff in shape so you can go. Autozone carries aftermarket cruise control kits so I may get one of those to put in my YJ...they are only about $100 so that may be the next thing after my transmission goes in.[addsig]

I wasn't sure about the joking around, but figured if I was going to tow the XJ, i would also take down the Jimmy....More than capable of towing the trailer. I might bring it down anyway, due to lack of space in the TJ.

Rob
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Autozone carries aftermarket cruise control kits so I may get one of those to put in my YJ...they are only about $100 so that may be the next thing after my transmission goes in.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Get a manual throttle, less than $10 from a bike shop. Put mine on the shifter to keep rpm's up when winching. Makes a good poor-mans cruise control, although not as safe since the brake won't disengage it
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Oh yeah bounty I forgot about that....was planning on making me a throttle too....I need one to keep the rpms up when running air tools off of my OBA system.[addsig]

I regularly tow my jetski (approx 1200 lbs / 13' trailer) with my 98 TJ without any difficulties, BUT that is definitely a lighter load than another vehicle. On the windiest days, I can feel it behind the Jeep, but otherwise no problems (low profile trailer). I don't think I would chance towing anything else though!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Get a manual throttle, less than $10 from a bike shop. Put mine on the shifter to keep rpm's up when winching. Makes a good poor-mans cruise control, although not as safe since the brake won't disengage it
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

or the clutch... watch that tach hit the red line real quick!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back